xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Subaru

Fullmetal Alchemist On PS2: Good Or Bad? ..and the Broken Angel

Being a fan of the Anime (and others), I've been staring at this game since it came out wondering if it would be worth buying for more than my usual fan-reasons. I've read reviews about the game and what I've read has been a direct split in good and bad. Has anyone here actually played the game and could tell me your "unbiased" opinions on it? I don't really care if you like the anime or not. I just want to know if the game has good graphics, a good plot, and just good play-ability over all. :P

I have seen the Anime Fullmetal Alchemist, and even though I liked the Anime I have no real interest in playing the game.......I really don't know anyone that has played or even owned the game I guess it just wasn't that great of a game......

I've played a demo of the game, which was included with an issue of Official Playstation Magazine. The gameplay is similar to Kingdom Hearts in that you aren't transported to another realm when entering a battle. Also, you can transmutate certain objects to make them available as weapons in battle. As far as the story is concerned, you don't get much of a taste from playing a demo. I definitely believe you should check out reviews for the game at well-known gaming sites, and maybe even go to a rental store and rent FMA for a few days. You'll get a better idea of whether or not it'll make a good addition to your collection.

I picked it up anyways since I had nothing better to do. I do have to say that it's a nice game for FMA fanatics, but for anyone else, I don't recommend it. But like I said, if you're a fan of the series, it's kinda interesting to get involved with our FMA characters.

Eh, the game wasn't amazing. The battle system was pretty choppy and i didn't perticularly like the graphics for either game. For the second, after losing to the first boss like..10 times, i gave up, it seemed pointless and i just didn't want to bother with it.

It doesn't seem like there's been much of an update on what people think of the games, so I figured I'd put in my two cents worth, since I own both the first PS2 game ("Broken Angel") and the second ("Crimson Elixer").

Game 1

When people say the graphics aren't so hot, they're not kidding. Basically, this game came out before cell-shaded graphics became the main standard for anime-related games. Also, I think it was produced in a bit of a rush. However, I found this to be a pretty good game for anime-fan non-gamers like me to get started on, mostly because the obviousness of what you have to do (go here, slay this monster, open that chest) was at the level I could manage at first. It starts to get repetative in that they reuse certain environments and you have to figure out little "tricks" to get past certain points (i.e. you have to figure out some way to get the giant crab chimera boss knocked on its back before you can smack the heck out of it) and the like. Still, like I said, the difficulties in it have helped make me a more patient/skilled gamer, but I too wouldn't recommend it for the non-fan.

Game 2

*This* might be more worth your while if you didn't like the first game. It's got shell-shaded graphics that are much nicer on the eyes, and the number of techniques has increased. Three of my favorite changes are:

1) Al's ability to throw Ed up in the air in order to reach high places. (definitely could've used this in the first game!)

2) The automatic appearance of the "trasmutation rings" showing what objects are transmutable. Alchemy was what made the first game a lot of fun for me, and they've improved the mechanics in this one. You no longer have to hold down the "circle" button to see what you can transmute, and you can have Ed make a more useful set of objects out the standard set of raw materials. Also, some objects, like the air-blasting decoy, can be re-transmuted into sources of health-restoring Elixer (which you WILL need!), something that *never* happened in the first game.

3) The fine-tuning of Alphonse's AI controlls. He can aim long-range weapons automatically now, and he no longer wanders off after a period of time. The updated user interface also makes it more obvious what your commands are telling Al to do.

I haven't played as far into this one as I have into the first, but I'll keep people posted if they're interested.

i loved the series on adult swim but the fact that the game is on ps2 is a dissapointment for meI own a pc and a xbox and its a same its not a multi platform game