xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
madcrow

Drupal A nice little CMS

After ditching Mambo because it ate too much of my space, I switched to Drupal and MAN is it nice. It's a bit unorthodox in its approach, but I really like how all the content is in the same basic format, even the forums.

After ditching Mambo because it ate too much of my space, I switched to Drupal and MAN is it nice. It's a bit unorthodox in its approach, but I really like how all the content is in the same basic format, even the forums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drupal is a very nice blog system.

It has lots of plugin available on the Internte.

I am using it for my website as well.

It's worth checking out. I've figured out how to use it quite nicely as a full-featured CMS, not just a blog system. If you want/need an example of it in action check out my site 8bitnation.astahost.comThe only bummer is that it uses only normal HTML code in the content, it doesn't have BBcode or a wysiwyg editor...

I tried drupal some time ago and have to say it's one of the best CMS i've tried. The only aspects i didn't like were that the skins that can be found for drupal are not many and i didn't like them. Now i use phpWebSite and am quite satisfied with it.

It's worth checking out. I've figured out how to use it quite nicely as a full-featured CMS, not just a blog system. If you want/need an example of it in action check out my site 8bitnation.astahost.com

The only bummer is that it uses only normal HTML code in the content, it doesn't have BBcode or a wysiwyg editor...

Actually, I also didn't like the idea of users using HTML to post in my website's forum, so after a very simple search over here, I found a few really nice modules:

Bbcode - A phpBB-compatible (as far as I can tell) BBCode filter to allow your users (and you) to post with BBCode.

BBCode Formatting Bar - Never tested it, but it seems promising.

FCKeditor for Drupal - Never test it either, but I know FCKeditor, and it's a great piece of JavaScript WYSIWYG editor that works on most common browsers, and can greatly faciliate posting in HTML for the users of your sites.

I've only installed Drupal yesterday, and I love it a lot already!

I too use Drupal to run my site, while it's currently just a blog on crack it still has the ability to become much more then a blog at a moments notice. Plus I do have various static pages and the modules are a nice touch. Having a theme run consistently accross everything including the forums is another nice touch like mentioned.I'll agree that there aren't as many themes as I'd like to see which was kinda crappy but it got me to find one that was somewhat similar to what I had in mind and then modify the hell out of it to make it work. In the end I was very pleased with the results and haven't looked back since. I used Mambo and phpNuke but stuck with Drupal. Worth checking out.

What is the size of Drupal, by the way? I mean, I have only 150 MB ain my Xisto account and I need to consider that before going for the option of a CMS or a Blog Software.

And can I install it through Fantastico in Xisto's CPanel?

Edit: Ok. I found it out myself. It takes about 2 MB to install and can be installed from Fantastico.

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

Hi!

Just to add this on thread about content management systems. There is one content management sys, that is really become popular, in some reasearches it's 5'th commonly used CMS in the world. I'ts called sNews, and can be obtained from http://www.solucija.com/
Now the reason why Im telling you about this cms is simple. It's really the simple one, the best of all, it's soo lightweight that you could not believe when you see, it's only 1-file cms.
Features of this cms include:

* Search Engine (User) Friendly URLs * Password protected live administration
* Template Independency
* Categories (add, edit, delete, publish, unpublish)
* Articles (add, edit, delete, position, publish / unpublish, future posting)
* Comments (enable / disable, freeze / unfreeze, edit, delete, bad words filter)
* Easy external files inclusion
* External language file support
* Images (attach, upload, view, delete)
* Archive
* Search Engine
* Contact Form
* RSS Feed

Try it, and do post your comments on it. I'll try it too, as soon as I can. :(

i agree about that firstly
i think drupal is bad
but now i think it's pretty good

I've been through Joomla, Mambo, phpNuke, PostNuke, Xoops and Drupal is indeed the only one that did the trick for me. Mostly, because it's just so simple, clean and easy to use. Joomla drove me up the wall, with it's many bells and whistles, while the rest was quite nice, but unstable or dodgy. Xoops had a lot of mods, but often quirky or erroneous.

As soon as I get my hosting, I've got my plans laid out on what to do.

I seem to find that e107 is a pretty damn good content management system. I have used quite a few cms systems, i liked phpnuke but it's just too buggy to do anything real useful in my opinion. I've tried mambo and joomla but couldn't find any good themes even though they were pretty good cms systems. I havn't really tried drupal out (i might actually have but can't remember it) but i've found e107 real easy to use and powerful. Themes are not a problem when it comes to that too.I might try using drupal later but yeah as i said no need for me to change at the moment.-HellFire

Yep I totally agree with you on this one. I used to be a Joomla/Mambo user and even though it was good, I wanted something more compact, lightweight but still with many of the features and I found my answer in Drupal!It's not as user friendly as Joomla but once you get used to the format, layout and concept it becomes a very very handy CMS. Highly recommended.There's also a great range of plugins out there and designing themes for Drupal is pretty simple :rolleyes: