xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spartan000

Photoshop Tutorial: Abstract Background, Cool Text, And More

Okay, are you ready to make a cool sig? Well I'm here to teach you how to make a sig like this

Posted Image

Well for starters, we want to make the background. toolbar

1)First create a new file with the demensions of 400 width and 150 height pic

2)Next, you want to make the background background, you can acomplish this by using the paint bucket tool and clicking on the picture.

3)Now we want some good brushes. I used the WW 11 brush which is not availible online anymore(If anyone has a place I can store the file, tell me so I can put the download like here) pic

4)Now with any brush, use the white color and just make 2-4 strokes. pic

5)After you do that, make a new layer (Crl Shft + N) pic to make a new layer pic for switching colors. Use the black color now and use a different brush. Make 2-3 strokes again. Make a new layer again, alternating between black and white and the brushes. Keep repeating until you have about 13 or 14 layers.

6)Now we are going to add some colors. Select the topmost layer. Go to Layer --> New Adjustment Layer --> Color Balance. Now mess around with the hue. color balanceRemember to put on preview so you can see what you are doing.

7) Once you have that done, select a couple layers underneath the topmost one and do the same with color balance only with a different hue this time. Afterwards, move the ColorBalance layer around up and down through the layers until you get it to look just the way you want.

Now we have to put your render in.

A render is the character that you want to have for the sig. A very good place to find sigs is GameRenders.

1)So you've got you render, open it in a new file, keeping your background file open.

2)Resize the picture you want. I suggest making it so you only cover half of the background. I also advise against making your whole render fit inside your backgound, otherwise it will look too small. If its a humanoid shape, my suggestion is that you make it so just the head and some of the body shows. If its not, just resize if so it will look good in a sig.

3)Next, in your file with the render, right click the layer with the pictre and click duplicate. duplicate pic Under Document and Destination choose the file with the background.

4)Now in the file with the background the render should come up. Using the 'Move arrow', move it to where you want it to be in the sig. and your set with that.

OPTIONAL: If you want to blend the render with the background, make a trace arounf the render with the lasso tool. Then go to Select --> Feather. pic Make the range about 20-40. One its feathered, on the layer windows, click on the mask button (Rectangle with a white circle). If done correctly the outline should blend with the background,

Now for the Text effect

This is the easiest thing to do in the sig.

1)Use the testbox tool to put your title, name, identity, etc. in a text.

2)Rightclick the text layer in the layer window and click rastertize(sp?)

3)Duplicate and the drag the new layer underneath the original pic

4)While selecting the copied layer and go to EDIT --> Transform --> Flip Veritcal pic

5)Drag the text alittle underneath the original. pic

6)Now using the rectangular marquee tool select the lower-half of the copied text. Do the feathering teqnique but this time do only about 20 pixels. pic Then go to Edit --> Clear.

Viola! You've created (or hopefully come close to make a ) an abstract sig. I know this tutorial might be alittle confusing so If you are stuck at any part, just PM me or just ask here and I'll do my best to rephrase it.

EDIT: Put in pictures due to a request

Nice tutorial, i find tho, the easiest tutorials to follow are the ones with pictures of each step, so even the graphics newbs can follow along easier. Thats just my opion but i quite like the outcome of the sig, it's also quite well written but as i said again maybe add some pictures of each step.

Thank you. The aqua effect was created by using different brushes and different placements of brushes. Then putting the color balances in different places between the multiple layers. This way a red color balance would be hidden by some brushes on top but would cover the ones underneath it. The color balance on the top would take care of the layers that arent lit by the red color balance.