xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

How Long Have You Been Programming ?

Lets start this thread and find out more about our coding roadmap!

The first code I ever wrote was on a BBC Micro Computer that came with its on embedded ROM-OS and ROM-BASIC - this was when I was in my 5th grade (1990-91). It was pretty powerful for those times, offering decent 16-color graphics and a powerful sound engine behind it (using normal computer speakers) - that PCs never achieved.

In about an year or so, I shifted over to PCs coz the lack of applications for the BBC Micro was getting to me (all appz for it had to be either written in Assembly or that ROM Basic). Then came GW-BASIC 2.0 on DOS 4.0. That was fun - big fun.

It any of you still have the old basic interpreters (GW/QB) try out this code - this was one of my very first experiments with CGA graphics. It struck me so amazing at that time that I was able to magnify screen text and add touches of color through a few simple lines of coding.

CLSSCREEN 1PRINT "Text:";INPUT text$FOR x = 48 TO 48 + 10 * LEN(text$)   FOR y = 0 TO 8       IF POINT(x, y) <> 0 THEN           LINE (10 + x * 2, 50 + y * 2)-(12 + x * 2, 52 + y * 2), 2, B           LINE (12 + x * 2, 52 + y * 2)-(14 + x * 2, 54 + y * 2), 1, B       END IF   NEXTNEXT

Next came QuickBASIC, and then Pascal... finally leading to C & Assembly - in such quick succession that I lost count. Now I'm armed with Java, JScript & PHP a little bit, quite solid on the C++, C# & VB.NET Front.

That would be 15 years now :rolleyes: God, can't imagine so much time has passed by in between.

Similar progression for me. In 5th grade I started in Qbasic. Dabbled in assembly for libraries for qb7.1, then gave up. I switched over to c++, didn't like it and moved to working with websites. I learned HTML (which is NOT a programming language, it is a markup language) and javascript. Then my free webhoster allowed perl CGI scripts, so I gobbled that up. Feeling more confident with my ability I went back to c++ and added java.Then I got a TI83+ and started programing in BASIC for that. I wanted more control and started learning assembly for the calc and quickly switched to assembly for the pc. Then I joined Xisto, got my hosting and started learning PHP and mySQL because I had access to it.Somewhere along the way I also learned VB.I hope to progress soon to GEL. GEL is a language I am writing in assembly designed primrily for making games. There are currently no high level languages that I can think of that are not based on other languages designed for games. So I decided to start work on GEL. (GEL = Game Engineering Language and is pronounced JEHL (the eh means short E)).~VizP.S. I am going to try out your code m^e, it looks really good. It reads like it checks a point and if it exists then it drawsa box for the point somewhere else, but shouldn't it be BF not B to fill in the box?P.P.S. Do you know any vesa coding in assembly?P.P.P.S If anyone wants to help on the GEL project, PM me.

Yaah - try experimenting with both BF & B - BF would draw Filled Boxes - here I'm drawing a simple non-filled rectangle for each point. You could also experiment with hatch patterns by adding in hex values after the B/BF...

Like:

LINE (10 + x * 2, 50 + y * 2)-(12 + x * 2, 52 + y * 2), 2, BF, &HF3E

That I've long forgotten - but I used to experiment around with different values and find a hatch to my liking. Infact when I used this function regularly, I'd built up a reference table of patterns & their hex values - but don't have a copy anymore. Try putting it in a for loop - I mean fill up the screen with horizontal lines with different hex values using a for loop and you'll get an idea.

I have been coding since when, hm I believe I started with QBasic at an age of 7? and moved onto Visual Basic at 10. Now I am 15 years old and I am programming Visual Basic, Delphi and PHP at the same time.

:rolleyes: wah, in such a way, I feel almost as same as you. i woke every morning realizing my self, what's the next programming i should read or *worse* understood. ha.. your code like a sweet memory. :)

It's interesting how everyone started out programming by a computer... I started to learn how to program in 7th grade by a calculator. It's a pitiful age to start since I can never catch up with anyone :rolleyes:. Well, it began with a Texas Instruments Calculator, the TI 83 Plus. Learning how to make BASIC programs on that thing was awesome. Then I moved on to computers and started learning all the basics as mentioned above, QBasic, Visual Basic, etc... Then eventually leading up to C++. I would love to learn assembly but I don't have the time anymore...Actually, if one was to consider HTML as a programming language, then one can say I started programming by 5th grade... but HTML isn't... :) If some of you wish you could learn your first programming earlier, when would it be? I say, I wished I could have started programming in 3rd grade (I mastered my basic math by then) so I would have the time to learn Assembly by now... :)

Age three or four, that is when I was first allowed to use a computer for games. I had already mastered large number multiplication and long division and had a good grasp of how math topics worked. And at the time my sister was making a program in QBasic for school.~Viz

I am now 17 years old and have been programming for about 5 years.I currently develop programs in QBasic, Visual Basic, and Flash Action Script.I am currently learning both Java and C++. I know QBasic and Visual Basic very very well, and am getting relly good at programming in flash.

Eh, I'll never consider myself a programmer. I started about 9 years ago on Pascal, then switched to C++ and Java. I ditched the C++, got sick of Java, and throw in some HTML and you basically have my programming experience. I've since picked up PHP and SQL, though only casually.

I hear you. Although I have learned a lot of programming langauges, I haven't taken the time to learn more. I only know a little of each language I learn. I'll never consider myself a programmer... I know a lot of HTML because that was the first thing I learned. I wished I could have learned how to program younger (say 2nd grade) to catch up with everyone else... :PI have programmed for four years... four years of little programming though...

wow, about 5 years now. started with C++ and C, went to java (swing), vb &nd vb.net, c# and some others. still love C++ though. although C# is really easy to make nice GUI-apps.and scripting... well, i'm pretty good in bash scripting and stuff, awk, php, javascript, vbscript, and some more, can't think of em right now.still.. i heart C++ :P