xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

Help! Fc3 Cannot Power Off!?

My Fedora core 3 PC got a power off problem.when it is shuting down, a message is shown: " ACPI_POWER_off called"then, it just stop.This message always show no matter I use GUI or comman line to shutdown my pc.P.S. in command line mode, I use "shutdown -h now" to sutdown my pc.Althought there is a problem in shutdown, "reboot" works just fine.How can i due with it??

did it have that problem all the time or is it just happening now?If that's the problem directly after install, I guess something went wrong during the install process. So the only solution (i can think of) is reinstalling and hoping it works then.If that is not the case... I have never seen such error before

How old is the computer ???

there are 2 protocols for all power related tasks, ACPI and APM.
ACPI is new and replacing APM, Some older machines support APM and ACPI, but computers from around when ACPI was newish, especially laptop's tend to have very buggy ACPI bios's.

You used to be able to fix this by forcing the kernel to use APM instead of ACPI, but i dont know if APM support has been dropped all together yet.

what kernel version are you using ? (the command "uname -a" wil tell you )

If that's the problem directly after install, I guess something went wrong during the install process. So the only solution (i can think of) is reinstalling and hoping it works then.

unless you have proken somthing, or installed from dodgey scratched disks, then re-installing is very unlikel;y to help.

im betting its just a buggy bios disagreeing with that particular kernel version's acpi calls.

maybe update the kernel, or if you have the knowhow, compile a kernel yourself.

if you have ever read through kernel documentation, your wouldnt believe how many tweaks there are for buggy bios chips.