xisto Community
ebbinger_413

Make Your Own FPS Game

i happend to be searching the internet, as i usually am doing from 5-9 on a daily basis...and i came accross this advertisement that sparked my intuitive imaginiation (wow big words...what do they mean ?)

ne ways...heres what the ad said...

First Person Shooters are one of the most enduringly popular game genres. Now, for the first time, anyone can make their own action packed FPS games without any programming or 3D modelling knowledge.

Bringing a new benchmark to game creation, the innovative and multi-featured FPS Creator has been three years in development and offers an easy, yet flexible editing environment where you can achieve high quality gaming result in no time at all.

sounds great doesnt it...is it real ? can i (someone who has no clue how to make a good 3d render) actually make a first person shooter game...that will look like a game!

im still reading up on this program...not exactly sure what it all does...

heres the link if youd like to check it out for yourself...

Hi...

actualy editor of that kind are good for learning, but if you want make game without programing skills I would rather sugest looking at Realm Forge GDK (engine based at Ogre 3D) to get better results, there is its [page at DevMaster.net] and their [homepage]... Best things about it are that it is fully Open Source, contains all needed editors, physics, and is using not best but preaty good technology like pixel/vertex-shaders and preaty soon normal maps... If you want to know what it can do, look at this [screenshot] (taken without antialiasing, but this is for show how it looks without it) where you can find nice refractions/reflections/waves in pool... I would say very nice... also one more time - remember - this is Open Source project :rolleyes:

There's probably some catch to it. Hey if you want to make a first person shooter. Just use Game Maker, you can find it at https://www.yoyogames.com/ , anything from FPS, to puzzles to applications can be made, it's a quick download to. I recommend you try that first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do that, it WILL pay off :rolleyes:

There's probably some catch to it. Hey if you want to make a first person shooter. Just use Game Maker, you can find it at https://www.yoyogames.com/ , anything from FPS, to puzzles to applications can be made, it's a quick download to. I recommend you try that first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this would be a really good idea. If i could try it i would, buti cannot download it :( so if your going to try to make a fps game then use the download off that site.

Hmm, looks pretty good. Ive dabbled in gamemaker, mostly sprite swaps of clasic games. Its fairly easy to use but I have no idea how it would handle pollygonal worlds for an fps. The most ove seen for it was a shady version of doom.Anyway good luck and tell me about whatever prog works the best.

Hmm, i dont think that FPS Creator is really good, becouse you need to pay for the full version, ofcourse i understand the creator of the program, but i dont have any visa or paypal so i dont like payments that isent sended home to my house :P

You can use Game maker to make 3D games like FPS, but they'll be like Doom(the original one). That Realm Forge GDK however looks pretty... I'll have to find time to get and play around with that.BTW, how user friendly is that GDK thing? Did you yourself make what was in your screenshot? Do you have any othe examples or should I just check out the website? :P

If one wants to make their own FPS, one should first find an engine to work with. Unless you wish to code your own engine from scratch(which requires an extremely advanced programmer) you should start with a ready-made engine(such as the CRX engine, check out http://red.planetarena.org/). The CRX engine is based off the GPL'd id source code and you can use the Q2 map programs to construct maps. All one has to do is make the maps and link them with a single player campaign in the engine. It's not easy to make a legit FPS, takes alot of time and knowledge and hard work, but its fun. Good luck!