xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Online Multiplayer Game What language to learn in order make it?

Hmm I think it would be just html, although I dont really know if its a text based game, or one of thoe Runescape type games.... you should post and let me know other wise I dont know.{Edit} I would sign up for it but I have had bad expereances with signing up for stuff like that.

The script for that game is downloadable, search the web and you'll probely find one it uses PHP but you can download the game and put it on your site, Like Xisto has the Army System on their site.

There is a way of creating these types of web-based games? I've heard of many other web-based games and they look complicated. This game may not seem THAT complicated but what about games like "neopets" and some others? Those would require extensive coding don't you think? I mean how are we supposed to use HTML to save everything that a certain user does? If Kings of Chaos is a downloadable script, why do people still play it and enjoy it? Everyone would be off creating their own games if it was that simple! :rolleyes:

Games like Runescape or normaly written in Java, a hard language to learn. There is also another way, C# a language pretty much like Java (it's the MS version of Java). But anyway, it's gonna be hard if you don't know much about programming.

The game you linked to is written in PHP. It is similar to C++/Java so if you already know those you'll pretty much have the syntax down. It's not difficult to learn and it is extremely widely used so there are thousands of great tutorials out there. Google some php/mysql tutorials to get started.

Replying to Z-0-MI've been experimenting with html, and it looks simple enough to make a game with javascript, which is free. However, I don't know if there's a way to make them multi-player...-reply by Ankillito

Replying to Z-0-M I've never done a web based game before so I can't offer much, However I did find a few sites on Google claiming to have old freeware and shareware versions of webbased mmo's, I'm sure some of them are different from more modern designs, It should still give you an idea of how it's done.-reply by slipdoa

right that kings of chaos is writtin in java if you left click on it the view page source the it tells you what its written in

<script language="javascript">

Wrong on so many levels, I'm afraid. :mellow:

Java and JavaScript are two different things entirely. Yes, the page has JavaScript in it, but JavaScript is code that your browser runs. All of the pages that I had a look at were PHP files (i.e. *.php), meaning that they use PHP code to do the business on the server itself.

Some handy links:

HTML

PHP

JavaScript

These are by no means the only useful pages on the subjects, just the ones I have bookmarked. :D