xisto Community
madcrow

Wiki Vs Std. Cms?

I noticed that Fantastico gives me a large choice of various CMS systems to chose from. I was just wondering what the advantahes and disadvantages of a Wiki versus a more mainstream CMS are. On the one hand, for a community-based site like the one I'm planning on putting up, Wiki could make it easier for collaborative content, on the other hand, a normal CMS is harder to deface. ATM, I'm just going to put up an SHTML under construction page, though...

Well.. if you are having trouble deciding... i have great news for ya!!!!Since i have tried out several cms's, i know for a fact that there are wiki modules for most of the large-comunity cms like mambo, xoops, phpnuke, etc...So, you could have the robust system of a cms, and the comunity integration os the wiki!!!!!!!So, what's the first step...1. Check out cms's to choose one from all the option (http://www.opensourcecms.com/ recommende for this porpouse)2. Once you have taken some out, check there officla websites for addons, modules, block (depending on the cms) for a wiki choice.....3. Go to the demo sites to see if it ios the kind of wiki taht you're looking for...4. Get you cms going!!!!!!!!

In my case, I decided not to use a Wiki system for the following reason:1) wiki sequences are stored in the DB so that this information may be used only by a Wiki system. That is a real problem when you plan to access your DB with other tools than your Wiki system.2) Difficulty to get a static export of parts of the system.Otherwise, the features offered by TikiWiki (on MySQL) or TikiPro (on PostgreSQL) are really impressive.A really good system with a lot of advantages.I am currently using Drupal as internal information system and Apache Forrest for static HTML publications.