xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
VJgamer1405241488

Best Place To Learn C++ I would like to learn C++

Hello,I would like to learn C++ in order to start creating a better game that actually runs offline, unlike the Flash games that I have been creating recently. I would like a website with a decent tutorial, and like a refrence of the keywords used in C++. Also, is there any freeware IDEs for C++, or would you recommeend buying Microsoft Visual C++? Any suggestions would be helpful.Thanks,Tim

There are many books out there tha cover C++/C#/Visual C++ but it you're interested in spending some quality time in learning it, I'd recommend Sams Learn C++ in 21 Days book. It offers source code with the projects for you to look at, plus it also comes bundled with a free trial version of MS Visual C++ as a compiler, as well as your choice of another compiler (I forget the name now). However, you might just try Googling for some resources first for free online tutorials. Heaven knows there are plenty of them out there. :rolleyes:

I would suggust you look into GameDev. It is an excellent site dedicated to game programming. They have a ton of tutorials and an active forum where you could find answers. Of course, if you have any questions you can post them here, I'm sure someone around here will have the answer.

For a free IDE I would suggust Dev-C++. I haven't used it for quite awhile, but I liked it back when I did use it. MS Visual Studio is nice, if you can afford it, but for starting out I would suggust you stick with a free IDE at first. That way you won't be out any money if you find out that programming isn't for you.

Hello,

I would like to learn C++ in order to start creating a better game that actually runs offline, unlike the Flash games that I have been creating recently.  I would like a website with a decent tutorial, and like a refrence of the keywords used in C++.  Also, is there any freeware IDEs for C++, or would you recommeend buying Microsoft Visual C++?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is one website that I found that I would recommend If you want to learn C++, http://www.cprogramming.com/. and with Visual C++, I would only recommed the program, if you are going to be serious about programming for windows (including: win32, MFC, DirectX, OpenGL, etc), but if you're just going to be making console applications, then I would not recommed the programming language. It's not just, that I don't like it--I do--but it would be a waste of money if the only purpose of getting it is just to learn the basics or use CMD (DOS, basically).

Okay, I see C++ is just a quite popular one....But I want to learn C. I tried this online tutorial here, and I'm starting not to trust it. the example lines of code are not compiling, except for the "hello world" example...So i'm not really too eager to trust the guy's typings.Well, okay, I don't actually WANT to learn C, It's just a bit of a prerequisite. I'm wanting to learn Objective C, but you do have to learn C first, so here I'm stuck. RRGH...what I would do to just completely re-invent the computer...a new program language, hardware, OS....Anyone have any donations? I'd like to buy NeXT from Apple and introduce the computer to end all current computers (and give props to the old school computers)

Hey empty,The transition from C to Objective C is not a major overhaul, it's quite a simple change, just getting use to more stricter and different ways things are accomplished by.Learning Institutes are still highly recommended for learning languages, I'm not saying it because of the tutors, but it's actually the students who you would learn from, you get in a group of very good developers and you'll pick things up better. Other than that, the tutor can sometimes provide some decent knowledge, but seriously, it's the students you work with who have the brains!You really should learn C indepth though, it's still largely used because it gives you more control, which is what programmers want. I noticed with the newer generation languages that they are starting to restrict this control.Cheers,MC