xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
madcrow

Very Alternative OS-es

Who here's tried out some of the VERY alternative OSes that are out there? By this, I mean, who has used alternative OSesbeyond the Linux/BSD scene on their PC? I know that's it's been something of a hobby for me. I've used BeOS (very cool), Syllable (looking good), AROS (a sweet implementaion of AmigaOS for modern x86 hardware) and I used to do stuff with SkyOS until the people developing it decided to start charging for it. They keep promising that they'll release a free version once version 5.0 is done, but 5.0 has been in the works for years and is now looking VERY stable and usable, yet still nothing...

I've used QNX (which no longer is free) and OS/2 Warp (for a long time, before '98 came out) and some really obscure OS-es during my first few years of computing experience. Also had a BBC Micro for a long time - which had an embedded ROM OS and ROM BASIC.

QNX is still free for non-comercial use. I have the CD for 6.2 stitting around my house... I also used OS/2 from version 2.1 until Version 4.0, but I wouldn't really consider it a hyper-alternative OS. Instead, it was the same sort of second place alternative as Linux is today. Lots of old OS/2 people seem to have moved to Linux, btw.

I'm thinking of using Risc OS.. not a very alternative OS, but needing rather rare hardware. And in my jobs I have used and still do use some other OS's like MVS (IBM mainframe) and OS/400 (IBM midrange). Especially OS400 is very nice for developing database appications, but an AS/400 is not a home machine even though some smaller models are quite attractive for the professional :DBeOs was nice also; I might use it again.

I've onced used BeOS, when I was still a n00b. It didn't realy work very well because it didn't supported my graka (S3 I guess) so it ran in graycolors :P , and it was rather slow (486 :D ).Think I'm going to try some other alternative OSes soon

I tryed AROS, it was neat, but still can't be my main OS, due to the lack of software, I also tryed BeOS, but my burned CD got an error and I just did not find time to continue or in another words to lazy :mellow:

How about Vax?I used to LOVE the vax networks at school.A plant I used to work at uses (to this day) OS/2 to run allthe robots. All programming done to the robot cutters and what not, was done thru a touch screen and OS/2.REALLY obscure one, TalkerOS. OS designed just to run a telnet talker server. Entire thing could fit on a floppy, with talker and playerfilesincluded. Go to your local Uni library, pop in the floppy and reboot.POOF!! Your Talker is online til someone notices. I run a Windows Pre Install enviroment alot of the time, I suppose thatcould be considered obscure as well.ViriiGuy

I remember reading about MenuetOS years ago, apparently it's still available. It's an OS written entirely in Assembly and fits on a 3.5" floppy to boot from. It's not based on any particular pre-existing OS, but it has a web browser and some stuff, from what I can recall. The site has screenshots of people playing Quake and Doom, so it has some 3D capabilities.

Here's a link to its homepage.

http://www.menuetos.net/

I would like to try another os if I can find one, hehe. I have used litestep for a good while. Litestep is just a shell replacement though for a windows installation for example. Rather than using explorer.exe for the shell, it uses litestep.exe. Is there another OS that is similar to windows but faster with the same support for programs and such?