xisto Community
Umbra

Creating A Game In Rpg Maker 2000/2003 Part 1 - New Game and the Database

Creating a game in RPG Maker 2000/2003

Part 1

(I AM ONLY GOING TO TEACH YOU HOW TO MAKE AN RPG GAME IN THIS TUTORIAL!)

First of all, you need to find some resources. When I say resources, I mean Character Sets, Chip Sets, Music, Backdrops, and Enemies. (Also others) The perfect place to find thoses would be at one of these great websites:

http://saltworld.net/forums/

http://www.phylomortis.com/

But, before you save them, you need to create a new game. Once you click on "New Project", this screen will pop up.

Posted Image

The Directory Name is simply the name of the folder that it will make. You should leave it as Project 1, but if you are going to have a lot of games on here, name it the game name. As for the Game Name, name it what your game is going to be called. For project path, first of all, create a new folder in the RPG Maker 2000/2003 directory and call it Games. That is where we will save all of our games for now on. When your done, save your project in games.

Posted Image

When you're done, you'll get a screen with water put everywhere. We need to start off and change everything in the Database. Press F8, or go to Tools (at the top) and then Database to get there.

Posted Image

The Database, as you can see, if full of tabs and confusing variables. This is actually quite simple. (Click on the Help button for more detailed info)

(NOTE: For your first game, you should leave all of the items and magic the same, and add a few if you'd like. The only thing you should be changing is the characters and other graphics.)

Hero - Just name you Hero, or characters in your game, to whatever you want. For Title, thats basically their job.

Class - Here is where you find out what they are. For example: A sorceress will have magic and a warrior will be good in strenght.

Skill - This is the same thing as magic. Create the name, condition, and what the magic looks like in here.

Item - Create items that will appear in your game.

Monster - Create the monsters you are going to face in your game, as well as how strong they will be.

M. Groups - Create the groups monsters will be in. For example: if you put two Imps together and call it Imp x2, then put it on a field, you will have a chance to fight 2x Imps.

Attribute - Create and edit the different attacks.

Condition - Create different conditions you or your enemy can cause, like death or poison.

Animations - Create what the different magics will look like. Once you make a magic, go back to the skills tab and you can choose the one you made.

Animations 2 - Create the animations the hero will go while in battle. EX: Attack, guard, paralized.

Battle Layout - Choose how each battle will look.

Terrian - Create background that will appear while you are fighting.

Tileset - Creating the graphics while you are playing. If you click the Passibility button, you can choose which once you can go through. (The circle means you can go through it, the X means you can't. The Square means you can pass through up and down only and the star means you can pass through left to right only.)

String - Create the random message that will appear throughout your adventure.

System - Edit random things like Title and Gameover screen, vehicles, and main BMGs)

System 2 - Edit the menu and graphics of the menu.

Common Event - Make an event that will appear a lot of times (like a savepoint) so that when you need to make that event, you just choose that event from the common events instead of writting the whole event again.

If I went into detail on all of these, it will cover up too much. But, you can still look at the help menu if your having trouble. Don't worry; within the next tutorials, bits and pieces of the Database, as well as many other things, will be covered with details. Also, the Database is a huge chunk of the RPG Maker; it may be boring, the fun of creating a game will come soon.

Looking at your tutorial, i would guess it's something that RPG maker is something that you know how to use but don't know how to present in word form. You show alot of information and then in the end you end off with "If I went into detail on all of these, it will cover up too much." Which is why I'm telling you that it is not possible to teach how to use RPG maker just by creating a tutorial. What I'm trying to say here is to make your topic cover less ground. Such as you could describe how you would go about creating maps and how you would host this game if you want to make it multiplayer. My second question is: What is RPG maker? Is it a program designed so that you can make games and host it with the playerworlds client? Thanks.

RPG Maker is a program that allows you to make your own RPG game. It is very simple to use, much easier then Multimedia Fusion and Game Maker. It has several built in functions, sprites, and music's. You can also import your own. Although it cost a lot to buy it, you can find it all over the internet.There is another RPG Maker called RPG Maker XP. It is much better, but harder to understand.

Hey Dmaster14, where are you from as far as the RPGMaker Community is concerened? Ive been around a long time in the RPGMaker community..1995-96ish...if you need any help with the tutorials...or need anyone to add some things let me know.....Ive got tons of expirence in RPGMaker...

I was wondering, after I set up my database and I put down a small world map and I was wondering "How do I set the Starting Party Area" I mean everytime I try to test-run my game it shows the login-screen but when I try to create a new party but it said I didnt have a Starting Party Area (location w/e)-VolksBlade

Um, I have just downloaded RPGMaker and was wondering, how to make my castle actually not transparent? when I test run game it is transparent and I alk through it... How do I get inside it?-reply by RPGnoob

I made this realy cool rpg game and I saved it as project 1 and I cant find it in my computer files? what file is it in? am I stupid? well I'm not starting over!-reply by andrew

Try registering in the forums please :(

Anyway, let me try to solve some of your problems.

1. Um, I have just downloaded RPGMaker and was wondering, how to make my castle actually not transparent? when I test run game it is transparent and I alk through it... How do I get inside it?

Well, easy but not that easy. I'm assuming that by castle you mean that little castle you can put on your map, half the size of your character :P , anyway, for that to work, you must create the map for inside the castle first. Then, create an event (go to the event layer) and right click on your castle and select "new event". Now, look for the teleportation event, and choose your "inside castle" map and where you want your hero to appear. Now, go play again and see how your character enters the castle when you walk over it.

About the transparency issue, I'm guessing you're talking about when you walk over the castle and you literally stand on it, well, easy. First, get rid of that castle, and go to the event layer. Right click on the part you want your castle to be at, and select "new event". At the left side you can choose a picture for your event, look for the castle image. Now, on the event screen, look for some options there that let you choose the event priority, like, "above" hero (you walk below it), "same level as hero" (you can't walk over it, this is the one you should choose), and "below hero" (the one by default). Sorry I can't give you exact info but I don't have the program right now. Hope it helps.

2. I made this realy cool rpg game and I saved it as project 1 and I cant find it in my computer files? what file is it in? am I stupid? well I'm not starting over!

Haha, you're not stupid. If it is RPG maker XP then it should be in My Documents folder, under the RPGmaker XP folder, if not then check in the directory you installed the program, like program files\enterbrain\rpg maker.... there should be the projects folder.

Ah, old RPG maker, I remember making games in it, back in 2006 to 2007. It's pretty powerful, and this is a pretty good tutorial for teaching the basics, however I feel it could be expanded upon.