xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vagodeoz

Windows Installations?

I had windows xp, and reinstalled it in another directory, but when I boot my pc it asks me with wich one I want to boot. What I want to know is in wich file does the pc saves that info, becouse I want to keep just the new installation and I find it quite annoying that everytime I boot I have to choose.Thanks.

well, you have to edit the file in you primary drive which is c drive, the name of your required file is "Boot.ini" and this file have the record of how many OS you had installed and which one you wana boot, now goto your c drive and open that file and edit the info, but this is my advice that before doing anything to that file, backup that and place copy of that file somewhere else in you hard disk too, because if you are editing it first time, there is a chance that itmight get corrupted and in that case you pc didn't load your operating system and you had to re-install the windows....cheers up...:rolleyes:

I had windows xp, and reinstalled it in another directory, but when I boot my pc it asks me with wich one I want to boot. What I want to know is in wich file does the pc saves that info, becouse I want to keep just the new installation and I find it quite annoying that everytime I boot I have to choose.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I woulde recommend you to go to control panel the click on "System" then click on the "advanced" tab

Then where it says Startup and Revovery you will need to click "settings" button.

It will then bring you to a new window where it lists various information. if you want to edit the boot file you can click the "edit" button and it will bring up the text file for you automatically.

You can change what one automatically loads and what it is called when it brings the screen up to choose which operating system you want.

Hope this helps..

THanks

Chris

The simple and lazy way:- Restart your pc then you have two choices may be called #1 and #2- Select to boot into #11 - If you are in the newly installed windowxp then + Open MyComputer+ Go to C drive+ Open boot.ini (to see boot.ini file you may have to go to Tool->Folder Options->View->choose Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files)+ Delete the second line under [operating systems] section (it should look like "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"")+ Save and restart2 - If you are in the old windowxp then+ Open MyComputer+ Go to C drive+ Open boot.ini (to see boot.ini file you may have to go to Tool->Folder Options->View->choose Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files)+ Delete the FIRST line under [operating systems] section (it should look like "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"")+ Save and restart