xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
musichere

Sound Problems

Since my last formatting of my Windows XP, the sound playback quality has decreased immensely, not necessarily the quality of the one, but the smoothness of what is being played. There seems to be lots of lag during playback, and sometimes it will go to halfspeed. I think it may be because of RAM, but I've always been fine with my 256 RAM card.Can someone diagnose the problem?

Are your drivers up to date and correctly installed?? Try reinstalling the latest drivers. Since it was working fine before there should be nothing else causing the problem. Are you trying to play mp3's or videos?? Or the system sounds are also lagging??

Since my last formatting of my Windows XP, the sound playback quality has decreased immensely, not necessarily the quality of the one, but the smoothness of what is being played. There seems to be lots of lag during playback, and sometimes it will go to halfspeed. I think it may be because of RAM, but I've always been fine with my 256 RAM card.

Can someone diagnose the problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably the soundcard driver, did u use an original driver for winxp that comes with your soundcard?

That's the point, the standard windows driver usually do fine, but sometimes, In your case, you just need to get those drivers to get reasonable sound :Pconclusion : install the drivers of your sound card

Were u using XP before the format?? If not then u might have to find the latest driver for XP.Which soundcard are you using?? Ill help you find a driver..

Since my last formatting of my Windows XP, the sound playback quality has decreased immensely, not necessarily the quality of the one, but the smoothness of what is being played. There seems to be lots of lag during playback, and sometimes it will go to halfspeed. I think it may be because of RAM, but I've always been fine with my 256 RAM card.

Can someone diagnose the problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might want to see what your ram is and compare it with what programs you have running at the same time.. because that can get the dfcompiuyetre to slow down a lot.. so that is something that is the most important. What type of system are you running aqnd what is the processor speed and the ram size. This can all play a part in the speed and could be the cause of the lag problem. Are you running this sound file through internet streaming or is this finle located on your computer?

Thanks,

Chris

I have a feeling it's got nothing to do with the sound card driver since it's always worked up to now. I have to dig out the manual to find out the specific sound drive, thanks for your help, I'll get back to you later with the name of it.I think it's the ram that's the problem. It is only 256, and I love playing music and videos on my computer.The make is eMachines, which as we all know is a pretty awful system for reliability and longevity. I do run a lot of programs at the same time. I use Opera, Azureus, GAIM, eMule, AVG Antivirus, Zonealarm Pro firewall etc. all at the same time without comprimise, so that causes huge lag on my computer and may be the reason for the lagging sound.The processor is only 2.66, which isn't exactly great.

OK I upgraded the ram to 256 + 512 and that hasn't done anything except cost mst £40...I have no clue and it's annoying me becuase I can't play anything MPEG at all and I use my computer mainly for media...

More ram never hurt anyone.Have you tried doing a reformat?It might seem drastic, but sometimes that is all you can do when things get wonky like that.Could it be your speakers? Try using headphones to see if any sound comes out.