xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dino-m

Is The Better Winamp Or Windows Media Player? What is better?

What?!? WMP is like IE: It sucks... Winamp is faster, it's cusomizable, and really good if you listen at songs online... I used to listen at online radio, and WMP used alot of time to connect etc, but winamp connected immediately...WMP = IEWinamp = Firefox

i use winamp and wmp. for videos i watch them on wmp but winamp is for mp3s. winamp definately uses less system reasources which either way doesn't bother me because i have a gig of ram, soon to be more.... but its just easier to use in my view. windows media player can play a few more file formats then winamp and there are some videos that play in winamp but in a funky way like they skip around and lag for some reason, but in windows media player, they play just fine.... but if i had to vote on which one was my favorite, i would have to go with winamp!

What?!? WMP is like IE: It sucks... Winamp is faster, it's cusomizable, and really good if you listen at songs online... I used to listen at online radio, and WMP used alot of time to connect etc, but winamp connected immediately...

WMP = IE

Winamp = Firefox

58852[/snapback]

You have never been so right. I use Winamp all the time when I'm listening to music because it has the hotkeys feature, so I don't have to go to the interface everytime I want to pause or go to the next song. I only use Windows Media Player when I want to play a video because I had a hard time when I tried playing the Ashlee Simpson lip sync video on Winamp.

By the way, what skin do you guys use on Winamp? I use the Haxbox skin because it goes with my Windows skin (StyleXP).

Winamp: This program is very new(came out in late 1999)and it is plain boring. You can just upgrade the skins(yepee, i am g** and i like silly little skins..lol..thats my impression), and all u can do is listen to mp3....lOl.my fone and my mp3 player can let me listen to music. It also has like loads of bugs that needed to be fixed but u get patches for that which is annoying and finding them is the hard bit. This program also has 3rd person listening to ur computer if u try and get music of it. It will pass on a trojan. Winamp also consists on problems that CAN NOT be fixed under no circumstances...I h8 this programWindows Media: You can do anything with playing media with this. You can watch movies/play music/listen to radio. It has a variety of help and online support which is really good. The skins on this rock but I dont care because I have media player 10. THis really brings out the music of wat u r listening to and it just makes u feel like u r there(it also depends on ur sound card). The only problem with this is that it passes info to ms on the activity u do unless u block the firewall of ur pc. I really do like this proggy as it works on most pcs and it doesnt need much doing to make it workso overall pick windows media...LOL

I don?t like Windows Media Player. It isn?t useless at all... but in general terms Winamp is much better, as said. More compact, faster in connection, gives you more control and it needs fewer resources.For audio Winamp... for video, VLC

Winamp: .....and all u can do is listen to mp3

58877[/snapback]

I don't know which winamp you are talking about but i can watch movies with it too.... and listen to streams/radio....

..... u get patches for that which is annoying and finding them is the hard bit...

58877[/snapback]

For updates and the latest version just visit http://www.winamp.com/

And for support just visit the forums @ winamp.com

There are many skins and plug-ins (ogg-vorbis encoder, l.a.m.e. encoder, 5 Channels Output) for winamp... so i choose Winamp

Greetz,

Rik?

well i used wma then got into winamp but then got sick of it jus cuz of the way its designed and it takes slow to loadd. Wma takes like 2 seconds to open up and i have music playin in 1 sec. I like wma better now cuz its just fast and just simple.

i'm more of a WMP fan. for one, the .wma files are smaller in file size than .mp3 files in most cases and tend to have higher quality. plus WMP can minimize w\ controls in to my taskbar, which is nice for when i'm too lazy to reach over my keyboard and hit the pause\stop\skip\previous buttons.i don't care much for winamp. all of my music is in .wma form, and last i looked winamp dosent play those. plus the last time i tried it didn't react to my keyboards play\stop\skip\previous buttons, and it's a pain in the behind to use for those of us too lazy to use it for more than 20 minutes.i'll stick with WMP :angry:

i'm more of a WMP fan. for one, the .wma files are smaller in file size than .mp3 files in most cases and tend to have higher quality. plus WMP can minimize w\ controls in to my taskbar, which is nice for when i'm too lazy to reach over my keyboard and hit the pause\stop\skip\previous buttons.
i don't care much for winamp. all of my music is in .wma form, and last i looked winamp dosent play those. plus the last time i tried it didn't react to my keyboards play\stop\skip\previous buttons, and it's a pain in the behind to use for those of us too lazy to use it for more than 20 minutes.

i'll stick with WMP wink.gif

look again. get the latest version of winamp (5.08e) and you shouldn't have any problems with bugs, wma files, most videos, etc. WMP is nice sometimes, but i'd pick winamp over WMP anytime. for videos, i use neither program. either WinDVD6 Platinum or DivX.

i'm more of a WMP fan. for one, the .wma files are smaller in file size than .mp3 files in most cases and tend to have higher quality....

58975[/snapback]

Have you ever considered .ogg? (ogg vorbis)

It's open source and has very good quality (even at 96kbps vbr).

I love it and most of the music on my pc is in .ogg format.

Even some software houses use this free format in some of their games. (Unreal Tournament 2003, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2,Serious Sam: The Second Encounter)

If you want to compare .ogg at low bitrate with other formats yourself you can visit this page:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Greetz,

Rik?

i use WMP all the way. i guess its just because i am so used to it that i dont feel like switching it. the only thing i cant stand about it is the fact that it takes so much friggin work to get it to sync with an ipod. oh well. maybee in the new revamped minis they will just let u do it and not have to actully (gasp!) try. we can only wish....