xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Deep In The Heart Of The Ocean: Full Moon Rave

Hi,

Here I am again with another lot of snaps that I want to share with you all. These were taken during my student days while I was engulfed by this wunderlust - my adventures all over thailand captured using a Canon DigiCam. Not quite the results I'd expected (being an avid supporter of FILM Cameras).. but still worth taking a second look. Most of these snaps here were taken during the Full Moon Rave that Thailand is really famous for. It takes place on this island, some 150kms into the ocean - completely cut-off from the world. It happens on the full moon nights of every month, Jan-Dec, but peak months are from Sept-Feb when the island receives an average crowd of 30-40,000 people around the fullmoon date. Its such a mingboggling event that you've to see it to believe it. Pictures are supposed to be worth a thousand words - but even a couple of hundred thousand will fall short to describe this occasion... Take a look at the pics and you'll get an idea. :P

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

The forum sw won't permit me to post more than 10 pictures per post.. So more later

Enjoy... :P

N i c e , this is becoming my new wallpaper :Palthough i do need to adjust the brightness and contrast first :PDo you also have photo's of mountains? those with a little fog and a little snow on the top:)

Hehe.. me too - got into a habit now.. Every Saturday night, get drunk and play with fire. That picture came out due to a long exposure.. The "Z" was actually a long series of movements which from the side looks like that Z - the final effect came out ultra cool... Incidentally, do any of you play with fire ??? I'm looking for ppl who do - I didn't have any trainer but picked up a whole lot seeing others spin.. Now I'm decent enough myself. I really want to learn more.. anybody who spins the Fire Poi's - get in touch with me straight :P

I love the images of fire, I've always had a lil time with fire as well. Though I am not "allowed" to play with it anymore ... SI... Anyhow, I saved the first and the 7th to use as desktops :P Thanks for sharing and I am looking forward to seeing more (perhaps a picture of the moon???)

Wow... I love the fire pictures! They're like the ones I see on my photography magazines... Guess it helps when you live in an area where there are festivals like that...What kind of shutter speed and aperture did you use on that thing? Looks like 1 to 2 seconds to me. Cool. I've always wanted to do long exposure photos but I've never had the equipment... first the lens and now, I don't have a tripod.

Wow ! The show itself looks magic, but with some music it should be even better. Trance or chill-out music would make a great ambience for this kind of show imho :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This isn't any show buddy - this is like a whole bunch of independent people spinning the Poi's out on the beach - along with the beats of music. Anyone's welcome to join in - I spin a fair bit myself - maybe, sometime I can put up some of the videos of myself :P It's awesome man - the roar of fire and wind gives you a different high on it's own ... throw in the effects of some common hallucinogens on the people who are watching and you can imagine what their perception of this whole thing might be :( There are a couple of guys who stay on that island and are absolutely Pro's at it. They offer 3-4 day courses for about $40 and teach you all the tricks from ground up - it's been my plan for a long time to go and take up a short course with them .. lets see when time permits. Meanwhile I'm picked up quite a few cool tricks all on my own by watching people do it.

Regards.

m^e

" Trance-Dancers are individual persons, who differ from their fellow villagers by a high emotionality, a lively imagination, and in general, a somewhat infantile psychic structure, are capable of reaching that state of increased consciousness that is needed to achieve a transformation, the realization of a conception. "

- Dr. van Wulfften Palthe (1933)