xisto Community
rogerw

Ws_ftp - How Does It Rate?

hi,I currently use WS_FTP as my FTP client. I don't have any problems with it really, but wanted to know what other people think of it or if there is better software out there etc.Thanks,Roger

I've always used the WSFTP Pro version - my most fav. client (even though it doesn't come free). Even the lite freeware version is quite good except for the fact that they haven't worked on the interface at all for a long long time. The other freeware ftp clients (SmartFTP, CuteFTPFree etc.) are pretty much comparable in terms of features, but I still like the easy-to-manage, fixed, two-pane browser of WS_FTP. :P

Sounds good.Thanks for your reply. I have used WSFTP for as long as I can remember using an FTP client ... pretty much since I outgrew Frontpage and Tripod. I guess I've just never been bothered to try anything else since it's worked so well for me for so long, but it's good to get other people's opinions also. I'm glad I'm not the only one using this product and I think I'll be happy to continue using it.And it's actually easier now for me than it used to be back when I used ICQ. Being that they use the same sound - I always got excited when I thought I'd got a message on ICQ when really I had just mispelled my password.Oh well, thanks for the reply. If anyone else wants to contribute also, always welcome.Roger

I don't think there's a freeware version of WS_FTP now. I used WS FTP free edition back then when it was still available, but ever since the free version is not avaliable I've switched to AceFTP. I would say WS FTP is very good and easy to use.

Ahh I used to use Ws_FTP Educational Edition but they discontinued that and I don't really awnt to be paying for something as simple as an FTP client. At the moment I am using an open source client from Sourceforge which is called Filezilla which has a 99.9% percentile and is hugely popular.

I use WS_FTP all the time! I like it because...well...it was the first FTP program I saw that offered chmodding, which I needed to my image gallery. Like ms^e said, it's not free, but it's good. :P

I still have the freeware version. Doesn't have all the eye candy but still works like a champ. I've never tried anything else so I can't really comment on that. I've heard good things about filezilla though.

Thanks for the great replies. I'll look into Filezilla, but I think I'm happy with WS_FTP for now. There's not much I need other than to upload files to my website, so I guess anything would do really. I should check out those freeware clients.Thanks for the tips.