xisto Community
rogerw

Question About Opt-in List Managers

hi all,this is my first time at this forum and I see a lot of people here know what they're on about, so I thought I'd ask some questions that I've been trying to figure out lately.I'm trying to put my own website together and would like to eventually produce a free e-Zine/newsletter to send out to visitors. Of course, I need a way for my visitors to sign up to the mailing list.Does anyone know of any good (hopefully free) software that will allow me to put a single text line form on my site and have users submit their email address to be automatically added? You know what I mean about opt-in lists, so I'll leave it at that.Thanks heaps for the help.Roger

Well, you don't need to do much for that. Once you get hosting here, log onto cPanel and under the Email Management Tools section you'll find an option called Mailing lists - you can exactly do what you intend to do, using this tool. First you'll need to create your own mailing list - then simply link it to a web interface so that users can be added to the list from there. Once you've created the list you'll be asked to login and in the resultant control panel you can specify hundreds of options including the methods by which members can join the list. If you set that to join-in-by-sending-mails.. (I'm not sure what the option is called there but it would be something similar) that would do your job. Simply take the email address submitted to your web-page and send that as a mail to the mailing list join address - and BINGO, your user's auto added to the list.

Your other option is to use a software named Majordomo which runs on any linux platform and does the exact same job. Majordomo is a free & the most widely used mailing list software. I believe the mailing list in Asta cPanel is also powered by the Majordomo engine in the background - although I might be wrong.

Wow, that's cool to know! Thanks for the helpful reply.Is that service provided standard with cpanel, or is it only this company? I'm not a big forum user usually and think I'd find it hard to keep my points up to host here. Although I'm looking at https://xisto.com/ which is an affiliate I believe and also provides cpanel to it's paying users. I mean, it's dirt cheap and provides most of the stuff I want.Speaking of features though ... do you know if they support SSI? I can't see why they wouldn't since they support pretty much everything else and SSI seems to be fairly standard these days.But back to the mailing lists, I'll look into that feature when I get to host either here for free or with Xisto - Web Hosting. And I'll also look into Majordomo just for interests sake.Your comments are very much appreciated.Roger

Wow, that's cool to know! Thanks for the helpful reply.Is that service provided standard with cpanel, or is it only this company? I'm not a big forum user usually and think I'd find it hard to keep my points up to host here. Although I'm looking at https://xisto.com/ which is an affiliate I believe and also provides cpanel to it's paying users. I mean, it's dirt cheap and provides most of the stuff I want.
Speaking of features though ... do you know if they support SSI? I can't see why they wouldn't since they support pretty much everything else and SSI seems to be fairly standard these days.

Don't worry about forum postings - they're not even half as hard as you think. When I joined this board first, even I'd the same kind of feeling - whether I'd be able to make the so-called "10 good posts" and keep up my subsequent posts to keep my account active. But look at me today... :P Before I knew I became a part of the community and was posting left & right.. Besides, you can always use this board as a free tech support measure for any kind of computer problems that you might have. Even if you feel shy to start your own topics, just drop by and make a post on any such technical probs you might be having. That itself will see you through your posting requirements. :P As for the mailing list option - it's available in both the free hosting account (access through same cPanel) as well as the paid Xisto - Web Hosting version. So you would have it setup and running in no time - whichever hosting plan you go for.

As far as SSI is considered - I think this site does support it, but I'm not too sure. Let me check it up once again and get back to you. I checked up on it and both Xisto & Xisto and Xisto - Web Hosting as well support SSI or Server Side Includes. So your hosting requirements will be well met by whichever host you pick amongst these.

Best regards :o

hi m^e,I've signed up for 1 year of hosting with Xisto - Web Hosting! They seem really cool for so cheap, heaps of features etc, awesome!Anyway, I've had a look at the mailing list option in cpanel and it's driven by Mailman. It doesn't appear to be what I'm after. It's more of a digest manager ... like a list that people can send stuff to the whole list. I'm more after something that will manage people joining MY list, with ME being the only one able to send messages. It's going to be like a newsletter/e-Zine thing ... subscription style ... monthly mail-out etc.Any other ideas? I could just use the clone-formmail to collect email addresses and add them manually to an outlook mailing list, but I was hoping for something a little more automated. Am sure it's possible, as there are HEAPS of these style things used on the net.Any other ideas? Thanks!Rog