xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Switching Oses any advice?

Well it depends on what isp you want i got Rogers Hispeed in Canada and they accept linux

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I don't live in Canada... just the US... The only services available in my area is Alltel DSL, bunch of Dial-up ISPs like Netzero, Juno, AOL, and possibly others, and I am not sure of the local cable company... I think it might be Comcast.

Well if anyone could possibly help me get drivers for my softmodem as it seems I am not getting a real modem anytime soon, that'd be great. If I can get Wine and possibly a free ISP that would work with Wine and Linux, I would prolly have to do trial and error.

Also, I had my friend burn me a copy of SuSE mini-installer off of the Novell site. The other one is like 1 gig but I don't have a DVD-ROM drive so the mini-installer should work. I will install it on a secondary hard disk I have so I can keep this windows install so I can come back here and stuff...

Thanks! Please also give me some more tips too!

What I did was go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and then go to the download section and review which flavor of linux you would like to try.  there is a description of almost all of the flavors. 

Good Luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been there before... my problem is choosing which "flavor." I just can't decide on if I want LiveCD or one that works on top of Windows or if I want a pure Linux copy. With all the different ones, I have to say I get confused... It is like a library with the same book but with hundreds of different versions of that one book! lol

I just want something easy to get me off the ground and then move into something that does a little more, and then something that does even more.

Avoid any linux distro's that work on top of windows like the plague.Wine will not emulate anything device driver related, use pengAOL to dial AOL.and everyone who tries linux and stays with it, ends up trying several distro's before they settle on a fovorite.I think the best advice would be to use Knoppix live-Cd.i think the current version of knoppix WILL allow you to run linux ontop of windows, and use the internet via a pre-established windows dial up. emualtion is slow, but think of it as a demo.

Avoid any linux distro's that work on top of windows like the plague.

Wine will not emulate anything device driver related, use pengAOL to dial AOL.

Ok... Got that now.

and everyone who tries linux and stays with it, ends up trying several distro's before they settle on a fovorite.

Ok... I think I will be doing that. At the moment I am traveling and so I will have access to more stores. I hope I can find some software stores and I'll take a peak.

I think the best advice would be to use Knoppix live-Cd.

i think the current version of knoppix WILL allow you to run linux ontop of windows, and use the internet via a pre-established windows dial up. emualtion is slow, but think of it as a demo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LiveCD is where you load Linux off a CD but not on your hard disk? So how do you exactly "load" something from a CD onto your LiveCD version? Seems a little tricky too me. I guess I agreed to learn all this stuff when I wanted to use Linux! lol. But I guess I'll get it soon enough.

Thanks!

LiveCD is where you load Linux off a CD but not on your hard disk? So how do you exactly "load" something from a CD onto your LiveCD version? Seems a little tricky too me. I guess I agreed to learn all this stuff when I wanted to use Linux! lol. But I guess I'll get it soon enough.

Lol.. i suppose this whole concept is new to windows users.

righty... the CD is compressed, and contains 2 gigs of sofware.
a complete office suite, web browsers, msn / icq / yahoo / whatever chat clients, a load of desktop games, media players, dvd players, the WINE emulator, compilers, email clients, everything.

for every day use there is everything you could possably need.

Now knoppix IS like a demo, you wouldnt use it permenantly, but it will allow you to add extra software through variouse methods.

one method, si the plug-in, ive never used this so i cannoy comment.

But a while ago, i had a computer with 2 cd drives, and no hard disk, so i booted knoppix.

With Knoppix, any alterations you make to the root file-ssytem are stored in RAM.
I wanted to install a quake server on knoppix. so i installed quake to a seperate location '/quake' then i burnwed the entire /quake directory onto a CD.

next time i wanted to play quake, it was as simple as inserting my home made quakeCD, and mounting it as /quake

you could porbably do the same with a fat32 hard disk partiton.

But the main point, is it will give you a taste of linux without you needing to format any hard disks.

Anyways, its really up to you, there is no wrong decision, whatever you do you will learn somthing, but if you choose knoppix and hate it, you dont have to re-install windows :P

Lol.. i suppose this whole concept is new to windows users.

righty... the CD is compressed, and contains 2 gigs of sofware.

a complete office suite, web browsers, msn / icq / yahoo / whatever chat clients, a load of desktop games, media players, dvd players, the WINE emulator, compilers, email clients, everything.

Oh, so everything I would need is on the CD? Ok, I get it now (I think). That's cool. I only wish Windows worked the same way (lol) so then I wouldn't need to re-install everything! I had to re-install Windows on my laptop due to Windows being all screwey and I had to re-install office, and the such! Yuck! (See why I want Linux? lol)

Now knoppix IS like a demo, you wouldnt use it permenantly, but it will allow you to add extra software through variouse methods.

one method, si the plug-in, ive never used this so i cannoy comment.

Oh boy.... this sounds like fun. Maybe I should wait until I have an A+ Certification before I try liveCD, lol. All of this seems so complicated.

But a while ago, i had a computer with 2 cd drives, and no hard disk, so i booted knoppix.

Not a problem from me... I can buy old computers from my school for $1 and get a 1-15 gig hard drive per machine. And when I say old, I am talking 133 mhz Pentium 1 CPUs w/ Windows 95 included.

With Knoppix, any alterations you make to the root file-ssytem are stored in RAM.

I wanted to install a quake server on knoppix. so i installed quake to a seperate location '/quake' then i burnwed the entire /quake directory onto a CD.

next time i wanted to play quake, it was as simple as inserting my home made quakeCD, and mounting it as /quake

Ummm..... sounds difficult! Very, very difficult! Maybe I'll skip liveCD, lol

But the main point, is it will give you a taste of linux without you needing to format any hard disks.

I have access to plenty machines and if I ask, I could probably even get a GOOD machine from the IT department to play around with Linux on at school... they are even thinking about switching from Novell NetWare to SuSE Linux Standard Server to manage the network which makes me happy! :rolleyes:

Anyways, its really up to you, there is no wrong decision, whatever you do you will learn somthing, but if you choose knoppix and hate it, you dont have to re-install windows :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow.... That's good. Thanks!

An advice: don't start with it without the assistance of an expert in it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, in all honesty, I installed Linux Red Hat 7.3 (that was where they were at that point LOL) several years ago, I had only worked in Win 3.11 for workgroups. So I was kinda blown away :rolleyes: But you know what, it worked fine, I had NO issues whatsoever. I stayed with solely linux for 3 yrs and then made a dual boot. Since I "blew up" the puter, I am now running a system too old to make into a dual boot (I have tried, it does work, but I have no space left LOL)

As soon as I receive my LiveCD from Ubuntu.. I'll be booting in Linux, I miss it...

Anyhow, I was a complete newbie to computers itself. Yet, Linux did all I asked and more.

Well, in all honesty, I installed Linux Red Hat 7.3 (that was where they were at that point LOL) several years ago, I had only worked in Win 3.11 for workgroups. So I was kinda blown away :) But you know what, it worked fine, I had NO issues whatsoever. I stayed with solely linux for 3 yrs and then made a dual boot. Since I "blew up" the puter, I am now running a system too old to make into a dual boot (I have tried, it does work, but I have no space left LOL)

As soon as I receive my LiveCD from Ubuntu.. I'll be booting in Linux, I miss it...

Anyhow, I was a complete newbie to computers itself. Yet, Linux did all I asked and more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recently ordered UBUNTU and recive it before few days from now... It's working fine for me, but I still didn't try to install Fedora Core, so I can't compare with it... (Im trying to make a pick from Ubuntu and FC...) Anyway FC seems to me like more professional... and ubuntu is more like Windows... :) But I'll see when I try it all...

I would like to switch from Windows to Linux. My problem is I don't know which version of Linux is best for a newbie to Linux. I have played around with SuSE standard server 8 but it was hard and complicated. I think that has gotten me scared to use Linux. But would any of you suggest using those Linux/Windows hybrids like Xandros which is Linux, but it can run Windows applications and such (personally, I need this as AOL is Windows only). Before you say anything, I know AOL sucks. It is all I have currently. So would Xandros work for me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Xandros is a very user friendly distro, there is also Lindows (which uses a special packing system called the CNR Warehouse). But, if you want a completely free and well "complete" linux distro, I would go for either Mandrake Linux, or Suse. Depending on what yor needs are... if it's a home computer go for Mandrake.. it has very many UI configurations (So you don't have to learn the behind the scenes of it all, though I highly recommend you do), and many third party apps are supported well by it via the Mandrake Cooker.

I would recommend getting a book on Linux Administration from your local library or something similar if you are really interested in it.