xisto Community
Antnydude47

Most Comfortable Way To Sit In A Computer Chair

If you are always on the computer and have some minor akes and pains....make sure you take a look at these simple tipsuse a good chair with a dynamic chair back and sit back in this top of monitor casing 2-3" (5-8 cm) above eye level no glare on screen, use an optical glass anti-glare filter where needed sit at arms length from monitor feet on floor or stable footrest use a document holder, preferably in-line with the computer screen wrists flat and straight in relation to forearms to use keyboard/mouse/input device arms and elbows relaxed close to body center monitor and keyboard in front of you use a negative tilt keyboard tray with an upper mouse platform or downward tiltable platform adjacent to keyboard use a stable work surface and stable (no bounce) keyboard tray take frequent short breaks (microbreaks)

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Moved to Computer Talk.
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I just pile pillows and blankets on to my chair, and as a result am usually quite cushy. :P

I find following all those tips to be too high-maintenance. I like to keep things simple. My chair leans far back enough to serve as a little bed should I start getting a little bit sore, and my pillows and blankets are right there! Oh hohoho. :P

i think that will be very goood information for most of the users of this forum, az most of them are from computer field or have some rrelation with computer so they used to sit on chairs and den start the pains etc .... so thanks buddy i am using these tips......cheers up and use these tips...:P

I put a blanket underneath, and put my feet up onti the workbench (adjacent to the monitor), then I put my cordless keyboard and mouse onto my chest and laze around for hours. My best tip is to buy a cordless keyboard and mouse, it's so much more convenient if you're a lazo like me :P

If you are always on the computer and have some minor akes and pains....make sure you take a look at these simple tips

use a good chair with a dynamic chair back and sit back in this

top of monitor casing 2-3" (5-8 cm) above eye level 

no glare on screen, use an optical glass anti-glare filter where needed

sit at arms length from monitor

feet on floor or stable footrest 

use a document holder, preferably in-line with the computer screen

wrists flat and straight in relation to forearms to use keyboard/mouse/input device

arms and elbows relaxed close to body 

center monitor and keyboard in front of you 

use a negative tilt keyboard tray  with an upper mouse platform or downward tiltable platform adjacent to keyboard

use a stable work surface and stable (no bounce) keyboard tray

take frequent short breaks (microbreaks)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some excellent tips there!

One tip you didn't mention is something you should do when you are not sitting in front of the computer.

WORK OUT! Working out for at least 4 times a week for just 20mins or so and get rid of those aches and pains. Also, try stretching for about 10 mins before going on the computer. This will loosen the muscles and keep them from tightening up.

You mentioned taking frequent breaks.

At the webdesign company that I own, we have 9 team members who I allow a 10 minute break every hour. You will be suprised at the amount of work they succeed in getting done. It also gets their creative juices going. How many times have you thought of your best ideas when you are not sat at your computer desk?? Many of the worlds largest, powerful and most famous inventions were invented by individuals while on a lunch break, vacation and other relaxing activities. I do pay them for the 10 mins they are not at the computer. I believe this is the way you should treat your staff/team members, it is a much better environment when everyone is relaxed, well rested and happy.

Sorry for going of topic,

VG

Some excellent tips there!

One tip you didn't mention is something you should do when you are not sitting in front of the computer.

WORK OUT! Working out for at least 4 times a week for just 20mins or so and get rid of those aches and pains. Also, try stretching for about 10 mins before going on the computer. This will loosen the muscles and keep them from tightening up.

At the webdesign company that I own, we have 9 team members who I allow a 10 minute break every hour. You will be suprised at the amount of work they succeed in getting done. It also gets their creative juices going. How many times have you thought of your best ideas when you are not sat at your computer desk?? Many of the worlds largest, powerful and most famous inventions were invented by individuals while on a lunch break, vacation and other relaxing activities. I do pay them for the 10 mins they are not at the computer. I believe this is the way you should treat your staff/team members, it is a much better environment when everyone is relaxed, well rested and happy.

VG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I donât think that youâre going of topic VG. I think that the topic is how to achieve efficacy in the long term: How not to suffer serious injuries derived from not being able to work adequately at the computer, which implies certain physical preparation and appropriate psychological attitude also.

VG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find that taking frequent breaks is nessacery when at the computer for a while, so get up and do something that takes your mind (and eyes) off the screen so it gets you motivated again... those were helpful tips, though, so good job..

I use a moon chair for my home computer chair. I can sit anyway possible and don't have to stay sitting one way. consequently my body never falls asleep and I never feel any aches and pains and never feel restless. Im sure it doesnt do good for posture but thats something I can deal with

When I sit at my desk, I'm pretty unconformable, I'm slouched over, and I move a lot. But when I use my laptop, most of the time I'm on my couch, or lying on my comfy bed. I'm thinking of investing in a really good computer chair, seeing how I do most of my work on the computer, might as well do it while being conformable ;) Any suggestions on what kind or what I should be looking for?

Edited by Laurence (see edit history)

Could have sworn I already posted in this topic.......(guess not).Anyway, I sit in a fake leather lounge (some space away from the monitor), I can't say it's the best for my joints and such but it is veryyyyy comfortable in comparison to a normal desk chair.Although it would be nice if I had both, as sometimes it feels better on a normal desk chair/computer chair, better for my back and what not.

Yay, the Page 1 of "Comfort for dummys". Right mate, this so comfortable. I use a laptop so some things are limited. Also, with my desktop, it is awesome! Works on my sofa too!xxxx-jozh-xxxxHave a break, have a PC chair!

The most comfortable way for me to sit near a computer is with a comfy leather chair with a foot rest. Not only that but I would have a wireless keyboard so that reach and wires being tangled would not be a problem to me. I also usually have a cabinet of food near me just so that i can snack on something when I happen to get hungry during a intense hours of work or just casual browsing. I try to be relaxed as possible when near a computer so that it would not put further strain on my mental energy as well as my health. Staring at the computer for hours is already tremendous stress on the eyes, so being uncomfortable would be something I would not like to have during near the computer. I try my best to also take breaks from time to time but sometimes when you are under heavy project turn around basis its hard to not be stressed out and concentrate on being confortable.