xisto Community
jedipi

Harddisk You Might Have Never Seen

I just found some harddisk pic in a japaness webside.

they are so big (size, but not capacity)...

1983, NEC, 14inch, KU800

3620rpm ,2.7GB

Posted Image

NEC, 「JS4380(PATTY) 1982, 400MB/3,000rpm

Posted Image

「F6421(Eagle1)」10/1981, 10.5inch, 446MB 3,600rpm

Posted Image

「JS470(Gemmy), 9/1987, 2,200MB/3,000rpm

Posted Image

The first 2.5inch HDD「PrairieTek 220」, 21.3MB/3,307rpm

Posted Image

I want to know if 3620rpm on the first one is the rotation speed of the outer cylinder or the inner cylinder or an avergae or something. Because if it's the outer cylinder, that's one slow hard drive.

hummmm..... That0s really frustating.... we keep complaining because of the space.. the capacity... and people (not too many years ago) adapted themselves to suing those monstrous thing without complains... doing the best with what they had....WHY ARE WE SO HARD TO PLEASE!!!

Nice find man... that's amazing. Look how far we've come in 20 odd years. Could you imagine trying to install one of them babies in your PC? Hehehe, you would need a crane. And back then they probably would never have imagined having the hard drive capacity we have these days in such a small size.

Its Beautifull , i love it its like the old cars , an antique , its a PUNTIAC but in computers LOL, and very fast to :rolleyes: where can i buy one of those ? Maybe they cost lost of money ... cheers

wow i didnt know they have hard disks as big as them before! they are massive compared to these days aint they?! now they are just about the size of your palm giving you about 300 gigabytes now!did you take the pictures from a computer history museum in japan? i never knew that any exsisted. i probably thought ifs its rubbish its gone in the bin or partially recyclyed!

Well, in the past few days (and this is going to sound ignorant) i saw a laptop HD.. and, on the contrary to these posted here... THEY'RE WAYYYYYYY TOO SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pc's should use this HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure these aren't motorcycle engines? *grins* Seriously, I wonder how many MP3s I could get on one of those ... and my next question after that would be, "How badly would I hurt myself when I had to move that thing out of my apartment at the end of the semester?" Heh.