xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Seaworm

Learning Programming: Which Language To Start which language to start on

Okay i have a basic knoledge of programming and am starting to learn it in more detail, my only problem is i dont know which language would be best to start on a book i brought suggested starting on Visual Basic, some old posts tha came up on searches said QBasic and a friend who does program says i should start on C or Pascal wha do you all think i should start on?

The truth is, it doesn't matter. If you are serious about programming, you will probably wind up learning many different languages. The choice is entirley up to you and what you want to do with your programming. If you want to easily create simpler programs, use a BASIC language, otherwise, you may want to consider c++ or, if you want to do programming for the web, java.As far as BASIC goes, it would be better to learn VB than QB, although it is easier to get a free copy of a QB compiler/interpreter.For java or c++, it is very easy to get free compilers. For java go to the sun microsystems main site, and for c++ try dev c++.

Sometimes I say first C, another times I say Pascal, but the difference is that C is to get a good and open base, but Pascal is the bridge to get in the base. Pascal is specially used to teach programming, because is structured and very nice to learn. You can easily prove your own codes doing complicated things.

the thing that langauge in start does not matter is not right, it does matters alot... a right language in start can build your logic and memory vision and after that you can program in any enviorment on that basis, i started with C++ and believe me now i can program in any language with a little intro which is needed to switch the enviorment, but C++ is the rite laguage to start at basic level, once you will be used to VB.Net in start you can't program at system level becoz your habbits are build to use most of the built in functions and that will hurt you while workin at low level, but if you start with C++ its real easy to program in VB but mention switchin to new enviorment....so the best option is C++ if you want a clear vision and logic in your mind, start it and you will definately feel yourself confident that you can program in any enviorment...cheeer up, dont think and start working with C++ and if you need any help material or where to start then just message me, and tell me your id and i will send you all the data necessary to start in C++with you best of luck (y)

Okay it sounds like even though you havnt said it i should go for C++ though ive heard some bad talk abput it i'll go for that one also does anyone think it would be seriously worth learning HTML because ive been starting to focus on building myself a webpage which is probably as you can guess the reason im on these forums but i mean will it be worth it with all the new software that is coming out it pretty much does everything for you without much use of any code and anyu that i do need i can find on the net for example Dreamweaver MX ive been playing with that and its incredibly easy and i have oinly a basic knoledge of HTML?

Hey shahidiimran i have tried to PM you with no luck could i prehaps have your email or you mine or you could speak with me on IM i am on both Yahoo and MSN just email me for my contact info and i can send you my own then okay?

Okay i have a basic knoledge of programming and am starting to learn it in more detail, my only problem is i dont know which language would be best to start on a book i brought suggested starting on Visual Basic, some old posts tha came up on searches said QBasic and a friend who does program says i should start on C or Pascal wha do you all think i should start on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okey I donnow what kind of basic knowledge you have but I advise you as a biginner to start up with Vbasic. Because that is a comparatively easier programming. But Keep in mind that it is not the language that counts but the algos are the main things in programming. First master the algos and then you go for the encoding alright?? any questions regarding C++, Vbasic just post it here

Well, it really depends on what you want to go into, most gaming programs are programmed with C++, its also the most resource/space effient language (I think) however it takes a long time to program a simple things

for beginners I have heard good things about Perl or Python

Perl

Perl, also Practical Extraction and Report Language (a backronym, see below), is an interpreted procedural programming language designed by Larry Wall. Perl borrows features from C, shell scripting (sh), awk, sed, and (to a lesser extent) many other programming languages.

Perl has been used since the early days of the web to write CGI scripts, and is now a component of the popular LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/Perl) platform for web development. Perl has been called "the glue that holds the web together". Large systems written in Perl include Slashdot, and early implementations of Wikipedia and PHP.

Perl finds many applications as a glue language, tying together systems and interfaces that were not specifically designed to interoperate. Many systems administrators use Perl as an all-purpose tool; short Perl programs can be entered and run on a single command line.

Perl is widely used in finance and bioinformatics, where it is valued for rapid application development, ability to handle large data sets, and the availability of many standard and 3rd-party modules.

~from Wikipedia

Python

Python is an interpreted, interactive programming language created by Guido van Rossum in 1990. Python is fully dynamically typed and uses automatic memory management; it is thus similar to Tcl, Perl, Scheme, and Ruby. Python is developed as an open source project, managed by the non-profit Python Software Foundation. Python 2.4.1 was released on March 30, 2005.

Like Lisp, and unlike Perl, the Python interpreter also supports an interactive mode in which expressions can be entered from the terminal and results seen immediately. This is a boon for those learning the language and experienced developers alike: snippets of code can be tested in interactive mode before integrating them into a program proper.

Python also includes a unit testing framework for creating exhaustive test suites. While static typing aficionados see this as a replacement for a static type-checking system, Python programmers largely do not share this view.

Standard Python doesn't support continuations (and never will, according to Guido van Rossum), but there is a variant known as Stackless Python that does.

~from Wikipedia

I myself is not a programmer (Yea WORD!) but I hope those links will help you and good luck with your future projects