xisto Community
Hercco

From phpBB To SMF ? How easily can it be done?

Hello SMFers.SMF looks really tempting.. and as I'm a bit fed up with phpBB I'm thinking about changing forum system. Vbulletin would be my first pick but there's no way I'm paying that much for a forum software. So SMF would be the way to go...However, I just spent and almost entire day getting the new version of phpBB working with all the mods and imported the old posts/users (needed to be done through phpmyadmin manually...). And I'm not going to go through that kind of work again any time soon...So my question is, has anyone here gone from phpBB to SMF and how well can the posts/users/forums/categories be imported to SMF? Bear in mind that I have used categories hierarchy (an absolute neccessity for me) and attachments mods. I have understood that these features are built in the SMF (like they should) but are there import tools for this much modified phpBB database? Also how would you compare the template/theme designing between phpBB and SMF?

You can't, they are two differen't softwares, running two different ways, phpbb2 is put together way differently than Smf. Nope, you can't even import topics and categories to Smf (I know, I have an SMF board). Sorry for the bad news. I guess you could go in manually and fiddle with stuff, but even then, it will come out wrong.

There's got to be at least a basic level impotrter/converter written for phpBB->SMF. These usually exists for all major boards. What I'd like to know is that is there a tool which can handle a modded phpBB so that I could keep my categories and attachments.

I've already told you my answer. As far as template designing, I like the SMF templates more than phpbb2. Because of the way Phpbb2, it seems that when you've seen one skin, you've seen them all. SMF, like IPB has tons and tons of different and unique style. You can see what SMF has to offer here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php? .

yes easily, on there downloads page, click the "covertors and Tools" link and there will be a very good converter there for you. Sorry for delay in answer. You wont loose a thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Once I get my current project at uni done I'll be installing SMF and trying out the template designing. If I like it it's gonna be a forum change for my site.

Wow!I just installed it and it's just amazing! To answer my own question: the change is really easy to do. I think you could train a frog or something to do it. The conversion tool did everything perfect except categories hierarchy. What it did was put all forums in the same level (ie. no child boards). But it's not a big deal to go and fix them in the admin panel. What suprised me the most was that the conversion tool actually imported phpBB attachments. For those unfamiliar with phpBB, attachments are only available as an hack. I'm changing to SMF for good when I get my theme finished and some of my self programmed utilities on my site converted to support SMF database structure. And Trekkie the SMF admin panel looks like a dream from the first glance for someone's who's been administering phpBB. :P

Trekkie101, the link doesn't workdoes anyone have their own SMF they can post on here? I wanna see a few examples before I get it myself..

I have done the conversion and all seems fine but when i go to view posts that were moved over, this error message comes up:Fatal error: Call to undefined function: create_button() in /home/halton09/public_html/SMFMil/Sources/Load.php(1040) : eval()'d code on line 43What am I doing wrong?

Trekkie101, the link doesn't work
does anyone have their own SMF they can post on here? I wanna see a few examples before I get it myself..

well http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is the default URL installed for loopback for those using apache bundles..it just points back to your localhost. and in turn the localhost points to the ip 127.0.0.0

sometimes some program sets this up in your host file

You can always usually find converters on the site of the software and most of the time they do a pretty good job, until the new version of phpbb comes out i would stick with smf unless you have a payed for IPB or vbulletin (which by the way is worth it!)-HellFire