xisto Community
vizskywalker

Pentium V. Celeron what is the difference

I've been using a Pentium II 450MHz processor and recently acquired a Celeron 633MHz processor. I was wondering what the difference is between a Celeron and a Pentium processor and which processor would be faster/would you recommend. Thanks.I have heard Pentium processors are better than Celeron. Please give your opinion about Pentium V. Celeron :-)

Well... The Instruction sets of pentiums are better so they can do the work faster than celerons, even on the same clock speeds. Since the celeron you are talking about has a higher one, it will probably outrun a pentium for normal use (typing, internetting, emailing). But a pentium might perform better on the territory of multimedia and stuff..I suggest you first try both of them to see which one is better. use sysmark or something.Also, are you sure the celeron would FIT in your motherboard, since the p2 uses a special slot on the motherboard. So i doubt it if it would fit in the computer anyway.

For Pentium 4 compatable Celeron processors, the same die is used for both processors. The difference is that the Celeron processor in without as much level two cache. Usually half of the same Pentium 4 processor. Additionally, Intel continues to use an outdated Pentium 4 die as a new Celeron ie. .09 micron compared to .13 micron. Still more, some Celerons were Pentium 4's that were either substandard or intentionally retarded to be packaged as Celerons. The longer a processor is made, the higher the yield of higher performance processors. As a result, Intel has to lock the clock on many 3.2GHz chips to be able to sell them as 2.0GHz chips. This is because as their process improves, the lower clock speeds are less predominant.As far as instruction sets, my understanding is that they are the same although new versions of a chip will have better instructions than their predecessors. I imagine that you will see an increase in performance by installing the higher clocked Celeron.Happy upgrading, :P vujsa

Thnaks guys, maybe I will take the time to do a test, but I will probably just switch to the Celeron. I don't have to worry about the chipset because along with the Celeron came a computer. The reason I even asked this is I'd have to take compnents out of my current PII to max out things like memory on the Celeron (It only has 64MB).

I'm using Celeron 2.4GHz. I chose it becouse of low price. And it's enought for gaming, surfing and software (Okey okey, I know it's never enought... :P ).

Main differences between Celeron and Pentium (socket 478 models):

Celeron has 128kb cache (Pentium usually has 2x or even 4x bigger one)

Celeron doesn't support Hyper-Threading (faster multi-tasking technology)

My Celeron is able tu use only DDR266 memory speed (I have one 512Mb DDR400 RAM module, so it's not running at full speed)

Celeron is about 20% slower than Pentium with same clock speed. In some software there are no big performance difference. So if you want cheaper CPU, choose Celeron, but know this: Pentium beats Celeron in every performance test.

P.S newer Celeron models (Celeron D) have 533Mhz bus (instead of old 400Mhz) and 256Kb cache (instead of 128Kb)...

Thanks it sounds like the Celeron is a better choice for me. If it is 20% slower than than the listed speed that makes it 506.3MHz processor which is still faster than 450MHz. I'm going to switch the stuff this weekend.

Hmm...I heard celerons were 33% less efficent then pentiums.I'm thinking of upgrading from celeron to pentium...But would I have to get a completly new mother bother or no?.My current celeron chip is: celeron ® 2.2ghz...Think A p4 with ht tech would fit in there?

i thinkn it really depends on what you want your processor to do, like office work and stuff, the easy stuff maybe you should go for the intel celeron.but if your going to use it for the multimedia stuff like games, videos, music etc. your better off with the pentium as it is stronger and obviously more expensive.if your thinking of buying a new processor try and get the AMDs. to me i think intel is just a brand. AMD was made atfer intel but much more better. its even made by a group of people that think intel are just slow. and EXPENSIVE.so try to get amd althon 64 the newest processor out. it would last you for quite long maybe another eight years until its outdated, not like 2 years.

Okay, to review my current situation:I have both a Pentium II 450 MHz and a Celeron 633M Hz.I am not going to buy a new processor.I want to know two things.1) What is the difference between Celeron and Pentium processors in general?2) In my specific case, should I stick with the Pentium II 450 MHz or switch to the Celeron 633 MHz?Please keep in mind that all though a Celeron is not as good a processor as a Pentium, a Celeron 2.2 GHz beats out a Pentium I any day, so is a Celeron 633 MHz better than a Pentium II 450 MHz?If we could stick to answering the proposed questions and not go off onto tangents recommending I buy AMDs or Pentium 4s I would appreciate it.

Okay, another thing to consider. I have 4 128MB sticks of ram. The Celeron's motherboard can hold 3 of them and the PII's motherboard can hold 4. So which do you think would be better considering that the PII can hold more RAM?

Choose Celeron. Celeron 633MHz is faster than Pentium II 450MHz. Also Celeron uses newer Socket 370 slot (your Pentium uses older Slot 1). Additional 128Mb of RAM will not make Pentium faster :P

Your Celeron's core is Coppermine, what means that it's Pentium III with smaller cache and some functions disabled (FCPGA-370).

Celerons are very reliable at overclocking. Your model could be overclocked up to 950Mhz. But this depends on your motherboard and CPU cooler.

My old 400Mhz Celeron is running on 450Mhz for about a year already... It can be overclocked to 500Mhz, but at this speed it often fail. I think it's becouse of my motherboard.

P.S. overclocked Celeron has one of the best price/performance ratio in the market.

Choose Celeron.

Minimum: Pentium-class
Fedora Core 3 is optimized for Pentium 4 CPUs, but also supports earlier CPUs (such as Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, and including AMD and VIA variants). This approach has been taken because Pentium-class optimizations actually result in reduced performance for non-Pentium-class processors, and Pentium 4 scheduling is sufficiently different (while making up the bulk of today's processors) to warrant this change.

That comes from the Fedora Core 3 Documentation: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I'm interested in putting Fedora on my computer, will it run as well on the Celeron as on the PII, or should I look into a different version of Linux, or what?