xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ploforia

Flash And Pdf Files Using Flash to Browse PDF Files

Greetings! I am working on a project for my work which entails converting a 1,000-or-so page manual into an electronic format for ease of transport. I had previously done this project using a browser (ie) to open various file formats such as .doc, .pdf, .jpg, .gif etc... , but today our IS dept decided we cannot author anything to use a browser for security reasons. So now my delimma is - how to display all file formats using an all-in-one program (program must be idiot proof). I was thinking to use flash for the GUI and some active content which would let me view jpegs gifs etc... but in order to view pdf files it would still have to open acrobat reader or something in a seperate window. Does anyone know if there is an available pdf add-on for flash and if so - is it difficult to implement?? Has anyone used it before?? Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to how else I might get around my little problem, that would be extremely helpful. If anyone who is knowledgeable with this type of stuff could please offer some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it because I have been working on this project for 7 months and they just informed me today that we are instituting a NO BROWSER USE policy!!!! *&*% it!!! Love the communication in this lovely place I work.Please help thanks!

Hi there!You should consider visiting Macromedia Exchange and look for an extension for Flash. If there is none available and you're feeling confident in your code warrior powers, I believe you can obtain the developer's package which will allow you to create your own extension. Of course, if you did this on your own time, I forsee a lucrative opportunity for you!!!Good luck!!!Cheers,Phoenix :P