xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
musichere

Alternative To Wmp Without Features Comprimise?

I don't like using Windows Media Player, I find it too bulky and slow to load on my computer, and it's frequent crashes frustrate me.I only need a player for videos, and I don't require the music store, radio, library, CD ripping etc. features that come with Windows Media Player, and I was wondering if there was a decent alternative that plays videos with the same quality but without the bulk.Thanks

I don't like using Windows Media Player, I find it too bulky and slow to load on my computer, and it's frequent crashes frustrate me.

I only need a player for videos, and I don't require the music store, radio, library, CD ripping etc. features that come with Windows Media Player, and I was wondering if there was a decent alternative that plays videos with the same quality but without the bulk.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the DivX 'Playa'. I've found it works really well for most media formats wmp supports, and isn't so bulky. One thing I noticed is that sometimes it'll be quirky about long or non-standard filenames (ex: thisvideo-[DivX-Rip]-lol.s403.avi). If you just rename the files, most of the time you can get stuff to play that was erring out before.

Here's the link:

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/playa.html

I don't need a play for audio, just video. Winamp is OK but the video quality is substantially poorer and Irfanview struggles to play many of the codecs I need. Is there a video player which is as bulky as Windows Media Player but doesn't bother with a music library or support for audio formats? By bulky I mean with many video-specfic features and compatibility.

I don't need a play for audio, just video. Winamp is OK but the video quality is substantially poorer and Irfanview struggles to play many of the codecs I need.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the recommendation for VideoLan.

If I were you I'd also try Media Player Classic which apart from looking like the old style mplayer2 from MS, is deifinitely better and OpenSource !