xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Terri Schiavo yep

As you may or may not know, Terri Schiavo had her feeding tube taken away from her, and after a bunch of contreversy, and going to court, it looks like she won't get the tube put back in. If you don't know what all this is about: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/18/schiavo.brain-damaged/ . Well what do you think about this? Should the tube be placed back in (that's what her parents want), or should it be left out, and slowly let her die (like her husband wanted).

I say, keep the tube out. Micheal has to live to, and he can't keep caring for her. I honestly see no reason for her to live, she has no conscience, she's just there (even though she goes through sleep and wake, and she wails). Plus, she can't feel any pain while she's starving to death. All the more reason to let her die. I think it will remove alot of legal and emotional strain when she dies. The end.

What do you think about this current event that's everywhere in the news?

Well, it was her previous wishes to leave it out and her husband is just trying to respect those wishes. Nobody but him can know how she felt about this before it happened, therefore not her family, nor any judge, can say anything against it.Some of the things her family has said though, just...well, for example: when her parents visited her after hearing that she made three distinct moaning noises, they came out of the room claiming that she had said "I want to live". Now that's just like putting an A+ on a forged report card for your parents. yes... I like that analogy...

I have a question:This isn't the first case of a person on life support and whether they should take it out or not. Why is this case so special that it has to make national news? I don't see what the parents are trying to accomplish by keeping her alive. She's brain dead and won't be able to recover from that. I hate to be so mean about it but she's a waste. There is no chance of her getting better so whats the point. However, she has been on this feeding tube for around 15 years or something like that. Why did the husband take so long for him to make them stop the life support? Also I heard that the Pope was put on a feeding tube earlier this week. That could raise some interesting questions. I don't remember what they said that the Pope's views on the subject were, it should be interesting.

The husband tried to take her off life support a long long time ago. It was all the case stuff that kept it from ever happening because Terri's parents are completely insane due to grief.FYI: Terri is dead now. FinallyAlso, to pre-empt any 'we should honor life posts' or anything like that: If you really think that, why aren't you busy lobbying for universal health care?

Dude, she was NOT "brain dead"! Yeah, people claim the smiles and sounds and stuff were just reflexes or whatever, but as far as I know, nerves don't act up that long after death. The only form of life support she was on was a feeding tube, and that's just becuase she couldn't feed herself. She would have been able to, becuase she was making major progress in rehabilitation, but then her dirtbag husband puts her in a hospice.

So, now he's got what has been said to be as high as $12,000,000 in money from a life insurance policy that he is believed to have had on her....

Dude, she was NOT "brain dead"! Yeah, people claim the smiles and sounds and stuff were just reflexes or whatever, but as far as I know, nerves don't act up that long after death.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a difference between death and brain death. With brain death, only the brain is dead/destroyed/non-functioning. The rest of the body works. In Terri's case, it was her cerebral cortex that was gone. The cerebral cortex handles all higher thought, personality, etc. Other parts of the brain and nervous system handle all involuntary reflexes so on. The twitching and blinking and stuff that Terri did was COMPLETELY NORMAL for a person who is brain dead in the way she was. Textbook even.

I do not say this lightly, my Aunt had MS and went brain dead and they had to "pull the plug" on her.

Fact of the matter is, Terri was dead, just like my aunt. That she still twitched/breathed/etc is just more unfortunate because it makes it harder to accept.

Ineresting... I'd never thought of her as being dead, just as brain damaged... wait if she was, then what's the question? Why would you waste money on a dead person? That's like paying money for fertilizer on a wilted plant.

I think it is more inhumane to keep someone who is brain-dead alive for a long period of time than it is to let them finally die peacefully. If I was ever in that situation and showed no signs of improvement after five years, I'd rather die than be a burden to my family.

I think it is more inhumane to keep someone who is brain-dead alive for a long period of time than it is to let them finally die peacefully. If I was ever in that situation and showed no signs of improvement after five years, I'd rather die than be a burden to my family.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said, she was making progress in rehab, 'til her husband put her in a hospice, and the rehab stopped.