xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
InDepthConsulting

Codenamed "longhorn" Mirosofts newest OS....

Just wanted too Discuss Longhorn, Microsoft's newest OS. Apperently they are strugling to get it finished. MS was planning to unveil a new technology for searching large Disks and a new graphics proccesing method... but they have ditched both of these new exiting things..... in the end will it be worth the $300-$400 MS is sure too charge for it?..... I think in their best interest they shuld slow down and make sure the new OS is really good. If Microsoft keeps rushing to finish OSs (ex: win NT-ME) microsoft's days are numbered....) Anyone else heard anything.....?.....

Well.. i think you're right.. it's a good thing that u pointed out the failed OS in MS past... Win xp was like that at the begining.. the compatability (<- correct this!) issue was threatening for win xp, but it's a lot better now.. like 3 year after it's first launching...I don't know anything about longhorn.. i have read that is was going to be launched on 2008.. but i have found available version on e-mule servers...If a had a 10 GB HD free... i think i would download it and test it out, see if a would spend taht kind of money on a new system..Because as you know, linuz it's a very good option too.. AND IT'S FREE... althought i haven't really used it, jeje, i but i will.. next summer! :)

Personally, i think it was a good thing to drop winFS.I put my music on my ~/media/music folder, my video's in my ~/media/vids folder, and my pics in my ~/media/pics folder.a well organised tree structure is all you need, i would mach rather navigate folders that having to run a search for a document.Okay, a better file searching program would be a better idea, but dont integrate it into the operating system !ive used windowsXP windows2K and windows98, and personally, i cant tell the difference between XP and 98.... okay they look different, different shades of blue, slightly different window decorations... more eye candy for the more powerfull cpu's...but what does windwosXP do now that windows98 didnt ?to me, it seems all of these new OS's are just updates, securety fixes, and stability fixes.then when Ms finally starts promising and hyping up the great new features in codename Longhorn, they are mostly being dropped to hurry along the release (which is already a year late i think)I dont think i will be getting the next version of windows.maybe ill go crazy and pay for cedeger (about £15) and be done with my NFST partiton all together :) Basically... what im expecting of Longhorn...it will be a deeper shade of blue...it will look alot nicer than XP.....it will be quite secure for a while, sooner or later,just like Sp2 the securety holes will start being diescovered... along with a few virii.it will be more stable...more bloated...and i hope will still have the old controll panel view... i hate the newer XP controll panel !!!

I agree, that microsoft should not rush the developme

nt of "longhorn". I have windows ME on one of my computers, and I can say, that I absolutely hate it. It was a product of an hurried push to get it out of the door, and into the hands of unsuspecting victims. If anyone disagrees with me, they should try having their OS give BSOD's every 20 minutes.

Anyway, back to "longhorn". I've heard that it will give users the choice of 3 different GUI's. Basic for those computers who can't handle a lot of graphics, probally similar to windows 98. Moderate, for those $900 Dell machines who have the integrated graphic chipsets, that isn't all that bad. Probally be similar to the current XP GUI. Advanced, for those "Alienware Bargin" or custom built beasts that are highly advanced in the areas of processing and graphical power. Can't wait to see what this GUI looks like.

and i hope will still have the old controll panel view... i hate the newer XP controll panel !!!

You know that you can change it? Just go to the control panel, tools, folder options, and select "show common tasks in folder". Click OK, and click on the button that says, "switch to classic view". If you need ways of converting your GUI, just ask, and I can tell you how.

ive used windowsXP windows2K and windows98, and personally, i cant tell the difference between XP and 98.... okay they look different, different shades of blue, slightly different window decorations... more eye candy for the more powerfull cpu's...

but what does windwosXP do now that windows98 didnt ?

to me, it seems all of these new OS's are just updates, securety fixes, and stability fixes.

I agree that most people cannot tell the difference between most of the Windows OS's. The experienced user can, though. Things like Remote Desktop, built-in networking, and many other things were not even thought of back in 99. With the risind popularity of brodband internet, home networks are popping up everywhere. XP maxes it easier to run a home network, or even a small business network. At our school, all of the computers had Windows 2000 on them. We have over 300 computers at our school, and it was worthwhile to install XP on all of them, by hand, without any special scripts to automatically install all of the essencial programs liek we have now. Fortunately, I was not a computer tech at this time :P . But, the fact is that our admin saw sufficient reason to put XP on all of these computers.

I was reading an interesting article the other day (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) about the delay of longhorn and its features. I'm looking forward to its release, but at this moment in time I cant see linux over taking Windows any time soon. I think I'll mention my latest Linux adventure..

Linux has a LOT of issues to deal with. Earlier this week I installed 'Mandrake 10.1' (4 times before it worked right!) and BAM! your straight into a world of frustration and headaches. I've previously used Red Hat and an old version of Mandrake, so I already had a general idea of how to use it.. but straight away I was in trouble.

I recently bought a Radeon X800SE, and because of it it took my ages to get Mandrake working. ATI dont allow the free version of Linux to distribute their new 'Proprietry' non Open-Source drivers. So before I realised this, I'd installed Mandrake and had to format and re-install using the generic drivers. (Was more complicated than that lol, actually required me to format an reinstall 2 or 3 times before success!)

Then came the reason I grabbed this version of Linux - it has native support for my old Alcatel Speedtouch winmodem (or so it claimed). That was another headache! It didnt work straight off.. I had to log back into Windows, print 8 pages of step by step instructions on how to hack linux and get my modem working. (Which I finally did - woopee! lol.) And now when I try play MP3s through it, they play quicker than they should.. so god knows lol, can't handle the frustration of some of it.

Cant really blame the community or whatever, most hardware in PCs were built for Windows (i think?). Though the new release of Mandrake was a lot more stable (once up and running!) than the previous, it still has a way to go. Ive heard SuSe is quite user friendly, will probably be my next attempt!

But errr yeah, *looks up an remembers this is a longhorn thread* haha.. I might try the beta out if I can find one (dual booted), it does look quite interesting!

Personally, i think it was a good thing to drop winFS.I put my music on my ~/media/music folder, my video's in my ~/media/vids folder, and my pics in my ~/media/pics folder.

a well organised tree structure is all you need, i would mach rather navigate folders that having to run a search for a document.

Okay, a better file searching program would be a better idea, but dont integrate it into the operating system !

I've been thinking a lot about this subject too, because the new update to Mac OS X, Tiger, also has this type of technology, they call it Spotlight. Basically it's supposed to beat the proposed WinFS hands down, but I keep wondering, if I'm already super-organised as it is (which I am), how is this going to benefit me? One way I did think of is that if you're really organised, you might have several layers of nested folders, like Documents>School>Note>PPT>Term 2, something like that. Then if I use Spotlight, or the proposed WinFS, I just type the document I want in my start-bar or title bar, and get it almost instantaneously, that might be faster than if I had clicked through four or five layers of folders.

That, so far, is the only real reason an organised person would need to use integrated file-indexing-searching functions, I think.

*nix has had a similar system for a while...to play an mp3 that might be in ~/media/music/singles/rock/nirvana/d7.oggyou could just use "<your_media_player> `locate d7.ogg`"locate uses a pre-calculated index to find files... a 5gig filesystem can be searched instantly, no noticable time delay.not as sophisticated, doesnt have a beautiful GUI... but u know, pleases the keyboard cowboys as it were :P

all this is the good side of things of the windows longhorn. but there are rumaurs of the system that it might be the new "big brother" of the cyber world.any thing you download illegally will be automatically deleted. the system will detect any code embedded into the file, so it will know it is a genuwine legal download. if it doesnt detect anything it will know it is a copy or a illegal download so it will be automatically deleted without ny warning to the user. never know that it would log everything you done on the computer and send it back to the microsoft server. privacy is probably turning smaller. what happened to "personal"! in "personal computer"? the internet i becoming a strict place. so much laws trying to restrict it. as the laws take place it turns US! into criminals!so when this new windows longhorn comes out and the rumurs becomes into a true fact, im off moving to a lunix operating system. screw the "big brother" i want some privacy!

Hah, compared to what?I have only seen one "decent" product of Microsoft...and it is a Z80 card in my Apple II.*NIX will always reign supreme, well for the next 10 years at least, but I have had yet to try Plan 9...Anyone here had any experiences with Plan 9?(also) Microsoft's claims of what their OS'es features are, are the stupidest things I've ever heard... "Digital Media at it's best?" Windows isn't responsible for that...not at all...and dont even try saying Windows Media...the music and movie formats are absolutely terrible when compared to others, except maybe realmedia.. I love how every "exciting" feature Microsoft publishes about their new OS, at any given time, are features that have existed long before the conception of that OS. Read between the lines...you know you're doing something wrong when you're holding a Microsoft product...is that several hundred dollars really worth all those crashes, reformats, and other problems we all know, including BSOD (which is still inherit often in 2000 and XP)

Love the slackware banner ! where you get it ???I thought it was quite amusing when MS announced that its latest line of operating systems could do more than one thing at a time... True Multi-Tasking !!! (of course everyone thought it was amasing, but they didnt know Unix had beat them by a good 20 years or so :P)I used slackware 10 for a few months when it was first released.at the time i had a 56k internet connection, so the ability to download only the packages i needed was fantastic.but at the moment im using Gentoo... i just love the cusomisability, and bleeding edge up-to dateness of it all.

About the banner: It's at slackware.com, under "propaganda". Lots of cool stuff there to choose from.I've noticed Gentoo has had a lot of people using it in the past few years....I've never tried it myself. Every other distro I've tried just seems a bit too..."butchered up" like Red Hat, SuSE and Mandrake, which didn't even last a week. (and then there's also Lycoris Desktop/LX, which was the absolute worst distro I have ever seen...) Maybe this is to protect new users from themselves...But I can't stand it...but then again, I've been using command lines even before preschool, so I'm at an advantage there over others my age.Heh...it's so amusing how people get frightened whenever they see me using a command line to do anything...and they say "that's something I could never learn to do"...yeah...typing stuff like "ls" and "cd" and "rm" and stuff...let me tell you, it takes YEARS of practice to get those down... (rolls eyes)...more like an hour at the most.