xisto Community
rapco

Astahost User Reputation... why wont u give a good rep?

ok, the reason i'm posting this is because a i recently download an user reputation module for my xoops site..I realized the importance in giving credit to people for what they so... good or bad credits of course...So, when i see my rep and i see one point.. and i try to remember the time i spend looking around for answers to help my equals.. i think "Hey, maybe i should have more than 1 pt.." don u think?So, form now on, i'll be giving out good reviews and bad reviews everytime i have the chance....Please do so with my posts.. if you don't like 'em, or you find something wrong with 'em let me now, or give a a +or- pt in my rep...PS: For all of u that remembered a good thing from my postings.. GIVE ME A GOOD REP!!! IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!!!, jeje :)

I think that's a really good idea. Giving people initiative for making quality posts and helping others out on a forum can make the difference between a good forum and a great forum.You'll probably find people start treating others with more respect too as they know their reputation could be damaged if they go around acting like a jerk all the time.

I've seen the "reputation mod" in many forums, and I agree that it's a nice touch. I'd love to see it here, since I can already see there are many wonderful posts that deserve getting credit.

But rapco, what do you mean that you give people "rep points" and that you want them to give them to you as well? Is there a "rep point system" here? I can't find it.

All I found was the Rating option. Is that what you meant?

Personally I've never really liked rep style setups... I mean I use them if they are prevalent on a site but otherwise they just don't do it for me. I post quality posts because I want to contribute, not because I'll receive praise from peole for it. I simply enjoy the interactions and the ability to help or be helped... But thats just my opinion :D

While the idea of a reputation modification is a good one at the core, I've seen it abused to the point of being meaningless on to many sites. The probem I have with them is that someone decides they don't like someone they spend as much time as they can giving "bad" rep to someone and then new site members start getting the wrong idea.So once again I'll say, good idea and fun at that but as the same time I would really rather not see it come here. I'd rather see our little community here stay like it is and we all earn our reputation by helping each other out and making the occasional funny joke.

So once again I'll say, good idea and fun at that but as the same time I would really rather not see it come here. I'd rather see our little community here stay like it is and we all earn our reputation by helping each other out and making the occasional funny joke.

Ok, I take back what I said before :D. Jeigh and Logan, you're making an excellent point, on which I now totally agree.

My rationale for my former opinion was that, since people would get reputation depending on their helpfulness to others, new members like me can instantly see whether a certain member is to be trusted. But now, with the possibility of abuse in mind, I can see how this can become misleading and unfair.

Besides, with any level of familiarity with technical topics, I suppose new members will easily get to know who to trust without needing a reputation system :P.

Ok, I take back what I said before :P. Jeigh and Logan, you're making an excellent point, on which I now totally agree.
My rationale for my former opinion was that, since people would get reputation depending on their helpfulness to others, new members like me can instantly see whether a certain member is to be trusted. But now, with the possibility of abuse in mind, I can see how this can become misleading and unfair.

Besides, with any level of familiarity with technical topics, I suppose new members will easily get to know who to trust without needing a reputation system :P.

As new members show up we will always be willing to help out, and I'm glad to see that the sharing of knowledge will continue :D . Also I'm glad to see that new ideas are coming in to, but at the same time I'm also happy that while new improvements can, and do, happen here that it only strengthens our community, and I'm sure you will be a good contributor to the forums here. Welcome to Xisto and the community.

Logan

Just another thought on what you guys said, tho Rep points could be encouraging etc.. It also brings more spam. I wouldent like to be proud to admit that i visit torrent sites for my use, but in those cases i have seen people abuse the use of rep points to gain: 1) Extended access to certain blocked areas of the site 2) And trust of people ... so that later on if the restrictions on the site ask for more rep points, they easily get with it.Regardless of what i think, i guess we should give rep points a little try, i mean it does include its drawbacks but sometimes rep points would help a new commer to choose on an advice from the many given to him.A basic idea for a rep point for this site could be .. When the "Give Rep" link is clicked .. the user should be taken to a check box page where he could check what the rep was about .. basically like a poll. So that the next time another user access the rep page of that user, he should be able to see where the advice givers reps are more, that helps him decide. RegardsDhanesh.

Well, when i started this topic Xisto had a rep system going on.. i guess some kind of abuse (described before) appeared.. and maybe that's the reason the module was taken out of the site.I'm not an active poster anymore, my time schedules are pretty tigth... but when i was an active poster, i did it for the love of helping out, and in return, many many time other helped me.. is not give to expect something back.. but if you give, you eventually get, that's how the world works.The whole rep thing was, not because i love being praised for, but because in a way, it makes you feel that your devotion is well apreciated.But hey, in the end, the people that has been helped by you recognize you your labor, so, maybe the rep module is redundant :D

around here your recognition is showed by the fact that you get hosting for helping out your fellow forum members. As well as making friends with people from all over the world.Sometimes knowing you did something is better then actually getting public recognition. I know that for all the I've spent here I've made a few friends and I know that if I need help I can get it.Thats my 2 cents