xisto Community
jackpinerepublic

CD-RW And DVD Player Will Not Play Audio CDs

I have a strange problem with my computer and Windows XP - it simply refuses to play cds. The DVD player plays DVDs and it reads CDROMs or data CDs as does the CD-RW. There is no problem with the sound either i can play mp3s and DVDs. But when i insert an audio CD (any - i have tried nearly my whole collection) the comp loads for a bit starts up itunes then nothing happens. When i try to open one of the tracks in Media Player this error appears: Invalid MCI device ID. Use the ID returned when opening the MCI device. Does anyone have any clue what i can do to fix it? I have tried all the windows troubleshooting (it is nothing to do with ticking the box for enabling CD digital).

Did you reinstalled / removed audio drivers? What's your sound card's model? And what was the last action you did before this problem showed up?Anyway, try this:1) Try reinstalling Media player.2) Try to run you audio CD with winamp or other audio playing software.3) The problem could be with your CD audio cable. It's a cable, that connects CD-ROM (DVD-ROM) with soundcard (or motherboard, if sound is integrated). Try disconnect it and then connect again.I hope it'll help you :)

hm...you can try reinstalling you driver like Sadas said. or...you can try updating your windows xp for the new drivers. or...if both cd drives are new and just been install onto your system, try checking that one of the cables to the cd drive is connected to the sound card on your motherboard.this is all i could think of relating to your problem. it cant be the soundcard that has the problem because you can listen to mp3 and stuff from your hard drive, yeah?well try going through the things i listed that should make it work.

I went to go reinstall Windows Media Player 9, but when I got to windows update I saw that there was Windows Media Player 10. I downloaded that and now everything works great, I also had a problem with video on websites and thats fixed, so thank you both.

3) The problem could be with your CD audio cable. It's a cable, that connects CD-ROM (DVD-ROM) with soundcard (or motherboard, if sound is integrated). Try disconnect it and then connect again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... I don't think that is necessary. I got 3 drives, and only one (DVD-ROM) is connected to the soundcard, but I can play audio cds in any drive. No idea why is that. Maybe that cable thing is no longer necesary in recent hardware...

Vagodeoz is right you don’t need the cables with now a days drivers they use the flat cable to transfer sound. But think a little harder, if itunes is what attempts to play your cds then the problem is with itunes. It is using the wrong driver to play sound. Uninstall it then reinstall it with the right drivers, or associate cd playing with another program like winamp or windows multimedia.