xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hast-webben

Formmail Without Scripting Same as above

HiOnce opon the time I did use an simple formail witout any script. I can't exactly remember how I did done. But something with post and then my email adress. Does any remember this poor solution???ThanksCheers!Jens

No, as far as I know, it's the POST method that you should use with mailto:.

Read this:

If the processing of a form is idempotent (i.e. it has no lasting observable effect on the state of the world), then the form method should be GET. Many database searches have no visible side-effects and make ideal applications of query forms.

- -

If the service associated with the processing of a form has side effects (for example, modification of a database or subscription to a service), the method should be POST.

Source: HTML 2.0 Specification - Form Submission Section

Follow it up with the definition of idempotent:

Methods can also have the property of "idempotence" in that (aside from error or expiration issues) the side-effects of N > 0 identical requests is the same as for a single request.

Source: RFC2616

The difference between "GET" and "POST" is that the former means "form data is to be encoded (by a browser) into a URL" while the latter means that the form data will be put in the message body. So mailing the form would require POST while GET would encode the whole form as arguements to the URL that form loads after Submit it hit.

However, it is recommended that you use the "GET" method when the form processing is "idempotent" only. In short, "GET" is for just getting (retrieving) data whereas "POST" may involve anything, like storing or updating data, or ordering a product, or sending E-mail.

Hope this helps :P

The difference between "GET" and "POST" is that the former means "form data is to be encoded (by a browser) into a URL" while the latter means that the form data will be put in the message body.

I thought it was the other way around, thanks for letting me know (I just tested it to make sure you were right, no wonder I've always used POST for logins).

hmmm ...

the mailto Function is not too good .....

Well if u dont wanna use the Scripting urself ...

Than why dont u use some Remotely Hosted Scripts ....

U can try Black Fire Networks ..

Here u can find a CGI Based Form-Mail ...

the good thing is that they dont even place Ads on ur Website :o

**** All Appreciations and Criticisms are welcome ****

Regards:

Samya Khalid