xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sadas

My Lan Story

The Story

Last year I was connected with some my friends to a LAN. Actualy was connected to two LANs ;) :

1) LAN + internet shared by HUB (5 users);

2) LAN (me and my friend).

The funny thing about LAN connecting me an a friend: same day we decided to connect our PCs into network, and did it after about two hours... It was dark outside. It was raining too. But we wanted network and we did a network LOL

The cable was hanging about 15 metres (50 feets) above ground between our houses. This was the only way to keep cable's lenght less than 100m or 300 feets (guaranteed working lenght).

So... One late evening we were playing Counter-Strike. (I was winning :) ) and sudenly my computer gone out. Everything dissapeared and the screen became blank. At the same moment I heard thunder... The friend I was playing with called me and asked: "How is your PC?" I said " dead" ;) Coz it looked dead...

So at least we found out, that our lonely hanging LAN cable was hit by lightning.

After many times of trying to turn our PCs back, we decided to take then to guarantee services (computers were bought in the same shop ;) ). And gues what, they repaired our PCs without any problems (guarantee terms say: "We don't support guarantee services if: computer is physically damaged, or becouse of electrical discharges)

My computer's motherboad was changed.

My friend computer's power suply was changed.

Moral

Don't repeat my mistake. Don't leave LAN cables (or other cables without grounding) above ground.

I'm happy, that everything is OK today (now I'm using same "unlucky computer"). But it could be worse. My PC could burn down... But it didn't! :(

THE END

Good to know I guess I won't do that. Sounds like you guys should maybe go wireless. I don't know the range on those but probably should be able to get to the next house. And there would be know wires for lightning to hit.

Wireless is much more expensive, and much more slower. Still there is a chance the anthenes on the roof could be hit by lightning...

OK Sadas I don`t never leave my cabel outside, something like that I did it one years ago, when I and my friend want to play CS 1.6 and Command Conquer: generals, we were thinking just throw over cable through the street, but traffic was to big :) and we didn`t do it, we were upset, but when I read your store I am happy that we didn`t do like this :(

But it could be worse. My PC could burn down... But it didn't!

Why you are in this forum ;)

Not everyone have enough money for wireless... and it is useless, when you want just play few times with friend.

But Sadas sitaution proved that we have to do it safely.

Wireless isn't that expensive... Much cheaper than replacing mothberboards twice a summer. :)Besides, the speed certainly isn't an issue. You have LOS between your houses? If you construct strongly directing antennas (much easier than you might think) and use the g standard (and illegal high transmission power), you can reach very high datarates. But remember... with WLAN too you should be using lightning protection.

You stupid fricker....that is hilareous though. I'd probably do the same. Actually, i have a cable that has been buried and goes under a certain road through a storm sewer. I don know how my parents and neighbors live with the two of us, especially after we fried our local phone system, long story...anyway yea scan google for "pringles" and "wireless lan" i've picked up signals from 5 miles away when it is tuned. you can pick up connectors at radioshack

If your houses are close enough to string a cable between then all you would need is a wireless router and one of you to have a wireless card. Or if you are feeling confident you could just have a wireless card in each pc and run in adhoc mode where one computer is the base station and the other connects to it.Fourthbean

lol funny story but lighting still would hit the cable underground if it is earthedwireless isnt really good for games because of the lag in the network unless you have one of those cool dual channel wireless connections. Wireless can reach pretty far and you can make an antenna out of and tin can (cantenna) that can reach upto 150m i memory serves me right becase i found that in most wireless networks the antenna the most expencive partnextime you could try placing a metal sheath other the cat5 cable and earth that to protect the cat5 by catching the lighting before it hits the cable.... make sure it is earthed correctly though

Yeah I know I could do many things, I could earth my cable, I could connect wireless. But it was a "low budget" LAN (costed about 30$ dollars, wireless cost much more) :P . And it was connected same day as was planned. The only purpose was gaming. And nothing other was intresting at that time. Now I've got my lesson :P . It woun't happen again (I'm promising myself like to my mom ten years ago...).Thanks for comments people! :o