xisto Community
redsox58

Downloading Internet Radio Is there a way?

Pretty much just what the title says. I'd love it if there was a way to download or get it some way to have the actual songs on my hard drive from internet radio. This site is where it has the links. It would be cool to get that music on my mp3 player so I could fall asleep real easy. Check the link and listen to understand what I mean.

just leave the internet on all night. if you have dial up set it to so many hours to disconnect. :) or you could use itunes or napster to download music to your mp3 player. just search for that music.

If you can use it with Winamp, so there should be a way of recording those radio programs. I used to use Winamp 2.8 (version must be lower than 3) to download these streaming into wave file. Then use CoolEdit to edit the files and compress into mp3. Its a long way but it is how it should be done. However, it doesnt matter what version of winamp you have, you need to download plugin that allow you to save the sound to file instead of output to speakers. (check at http://www.winamp.com/)

That's how I do with radio streaming. For those radio channels that are not real-time streaming (it means whenever you request for a program, you will be enjoying it from the beginning), you may try with FlashGet (at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). Just right-click on the link and copy the shortcut instead of left-click, then paste it into FlashGet. FlashGet will do the rest.

There is a software that is specially written for download streaming music and videos but I dont really remember the name. I will check my comp and let you know. Maybe WMRecorder at (http://wmrecorder.com/home/).

For recording sounds off the internet or anything really thats being played through my speakers i use Audacity, it's a great Free program that i was using to trim my music and add fade outs and stuff like that. It's quite amazing for a free program how powerfull it is. You can check it out here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/ (btw its for windows)

Also check out this part in the Audacity Help for dealing with recording it also tells you some programs if you are running Mac http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I hope that helps you with recoding ur streaming radio :)

Cheers Silent

Technically, its not legal to record streams from the internet, but I guess its ok to listen to some music offline. If your soundcard supports it, you can record the stereo mix out from your soundcard so whatever plays on your speakers, you can record into a file using any sound recording program such as Audacity or regular Windows Sound Recorder. If you want to record the actual sound data from the stream, you can use StreamRipper. StreamRipper is open source and is a program that connects to the streaming media server and instead of playing the stream on your speakers it writes the data into a file on your hard drive so you can listen to it again. StreamRipper also can be used as a plugin for Winamp so you can listen to the music in Winamp and then press record when you want to record something you're listening to. Hope this explains it, enjoy your music. :)

My brother is always trying to record music from internet radio. (If you're not keeping the files, like you only listen to them once, it's supposed to be legal....) He uses Radio Lover. It's Mac OS X shareware. The demo's only limitation is that you can only record a certain amount of time before you have to manually restart the recording. And if you want the full version, it's only $15. It automaticly splits the songs up into individual tracks with artist/album info. It integrates well with iTunes. It's very nice. You can check it out here!

Wow I had know idea there were so many different apps one could use. I already have winamp and audacity maybe I'll go that route. There wouldn't happen to be a way to have it split up the recording for different songs would there?

Wow I had know idea there were so many different apps one could use. I already have winamp and audacity maybe I'll go that route. There wouldn't happen to be a way to have it split up the recording for different songs would there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most stream recorder programs automatically start new files for different songs. So if the title or song data changes, the recorder automatically starts a new file for the new song. I believe StreamRipper does this last time I checked and I think some of the other programs do this as well.

I use Ripcast 1.9, as well as being able to add your own URL's, it includes a directory of hundreds of stations and it even tells you what is playing right now. Leave it on overnight and it records hundreds of tracks, seperating them into seperate files. Might not be what you are looking for, as you said you wanted to listen to radio, but thought I'd mention it anyways!

For those who say this is techniacally illegal: BS. It's only illegal if you go and put the files up on P2P or something, otherwise it's perfectly legal. Saying that recording netstreams is illegal is just as dumb as saying that it's illegal to record a TV program or real radio broadcast to watch or listen to later.That said, thanx for all the cool tips for how to do it.

What I do is open up the radio station in iTunes and then I leave the program on all night and click on it during the day whenever I want to listen to the radio station. You can use certain programs to record songs you like from the radio and then convert them to mp3 format so that you can play it on your mp3 player.

If you can use it with Winamp, so there should be a way of recording those radio programs. I used to use Winamp 2.8 (version must be lower than 3) to download these streaming into wave file. Then use CoolEdit to edit the files and compress into mp3. Its a long way but it is how it should be done. However, it doesnt matter what version of winamp you have, you need to download plugin that allow you to save the sound to file instead of output to speakers. (check at http://www.winamp.com/)

That's how I do with radio streaming. For those radio channels that are not real-time streaming (it means whenever you request for a program, you will be enjoying it from the beginning), you may try with FlashGet (at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). Just right-click on the link and copy the shortcut instead of left-click, then paste it into FlashGet. FlashGet will do the rest.

There is a software that is specially written for download streaming music and videos but I dont really remember the name. I will check my comp and let you know. Maybe WMRecorder at (http://wmrecorder.com/home/).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually tried audacity, but for some reason everything I recorded was so full of static that I could not understand anything! Are microphones that are built into laptops just crummy? I am wondering if it is the microphone and not the program since you say its so good. Darn. I can't really fix my microphone.