xisto Community
vizskywalker

Requiring Password When Resuming Windows XP Pro

My laptop used to go to the welcome screen after resuming from screensaver or standby to prompt for a password. It stopped doing that. When I set the option to prompt for password after resume from screensaver in the display settings, it no longer uses the welcome screen, but more of a classic screen. Any ideas how to reset this. On a similar note, any idea why it doesn't like to go to standby after 30 minutes like the power settings are set for?

You may need to turn the Welcome screen on

You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the Use the Welcome screen feature. Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.

- Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

- Click Change the way users log on or off.

- Do one of the following:

To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.

A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.

The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

I have the welcome screen active. When I boot up or resume from standby (for some reason the computer goes to standby is by closing the lid, not time), the computer goes to welcome screen. But from screensaver it is tha classic logon.

I hate to revive old dead threads, but I'm experiencing this issue again. I don't know how I resolved it last time, or even if I did. But now I at least know the cause. I installed TweakUI and used it to change the grace period for logging in when a screensaver activates. Then I noticed that essentially the grace period was infinite, and when I checked the screensaver settings, require password on resume wasn't checked, so I checked it, and that caused the problem. I uninstalled TweakUI, but that didn't fix it. What I'm going to try now is uninstalling TweakUI and then cycling between using the Welcome Screen and Classic login. But if anyone else has any ideas or has dealt with this problem, it would be appreciated.~VizP.S. I found an even quicker fix for my particular situation. I had also unchecked the "Show ASPNET user on the welcome screen option using TweakUI," when I never had seen this user. Rechecking it still shows no changes to the Welcome Screen but brings the welcome screen back after screensaver.

Hello,Do you have the "themes" service turned off? If so try to turn it on. (Run >> services.msc)I thought it had to do something with this, since it handles the windows theme and such, thus the login screen. Marry Christmas to you,bakr_2k5

Edited by bakr_2k5 (see edit history)