xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PC Astray

Yahoo Upgrades Email Storage To 1gb

Yahoo! said that it will take about two weeks for their free email users to see the difference from their 250MB inbox to search rival Google's GMail 1GB by about late April this year. Yahoo!'s vice president of communications products,Mr Brad Garlinghouse, claimed in an interview that this storage boost is not a response to Google's issusing of GMail invitations to random visitors of Google's homepage from last week. The antivirus scanning will still be provided by Symantec's Norton Antivirus in the free version of Yahoo! Mail.What do you guys think? After GMail was actually released last year, free email service has changed greatly as Yahoo! announced increase its storage from 4MB to 100MBand then upgraded it again to 250MB in November 2004. Also, Microsoft said it would implement its own storage boost to 250MB but most users living outside the US or UK will still have 2MB inbox unless they reactivate their accounts with US or UK's addresses.

I first staarted off with a 'hotmail' account when I began using e-mail services.. i found the servers a bit slow and switched to Yahoo.. with the yahoo account - I began using all the allied services and experemented with html (on geocities) and chat etc.. all in all a very good package... when they increased the allocated mailbox size, I was thrilled.. I use a gmail account (or rather have one which I infrequently use) The thing about e-mail, is that most of the time, a simple 10 MB account is more than sufficient to carry out day to day operations.. But once you're hooked onto a perticular interface.. you tend to get stuck to it.. The bit where Google has made an impact is that they utilized the 'social network' phenomena to capture new accounts.. they used a dual system of refferals as well as poaching other users' accounts (since anyone you wanted to invite would already have had to have an email account). Also, since most of the worlds countries are just entering a stage of high-tech communicaitons + youth populations - Google has followed a policy that has suited its agenda to a high degree.. Rashid Ahmed

My first e-mail service is also hotmail in the mid 1998 or something... Hotmail got 2mb storage until now it is 2mb, hehehe. Then I tried eudoramail then it was gone and tried adres.nl gone too, also myownemail.com but too delayed messages. And now gmail, yes 1gb. I joined yahoo when it was still 6mb, one time when I opened my account boom it was 250 mb. It is quite large to store just emails I never got filled my entire mailbox. I guess yahoo won't be regreting if they will upgrade to 1gb. Many will like it. Nice e-mails... hehehe

G-Mail has become really popular in the short time that it started its webmail service and it seems that all the other services are trying to compete. This new upgrade for Yahoo should make it just about as good as G-Mail and its good that mail services are finally giving more space to their users.

yea if they would have done this a couple of months before i got my Gmail account i would use Yahoo but my i have to much stuff in my Gmail to switch over to Yahoo. oh well

Yahoo has been doing so well as a free email provider. M$'s hotmail is not worth for their rival. M$ is so mean and ..... I have been using Yahoo email since the day I knew what email is. Then tried Hotmail just for MSN Messenger for two years but its storage is still 2Mb.Google is a good one to try and has shown their potential. They implement javascript code so well and the service is fast.I would vote for Yahoo even though I'm owning a bunch of gmails (they all forward incoming email to my yahoo account, lol).1Gb Yahoo mail! So Great!

If Yahoo! Mail has an upgraded email inbox storage of 1GB, it will then be the best free email service online (from my personal opinion) since they have Yahoo! Geocities, Music, antispyware based on PestPatrol and a whole lot of other features with their toolbar. Even though its popup blocker cannot be compared to Google's, it's still considered above average and if you merge all these features against Google's GMail, Yahoo! Mail will be considered better. (and again, from my person point of view)

MSN's Hotmail is losing out on its leading position in the free webmail battle. Ever since Google GMail launched, I have been expecting Yahoo! and MSN to give more storage space to our email inboxes. Yahoo was fast enough to follow up with 250mb, now 1 gb same as Gmail. Hotmail however, took a long time to upgrade all accounts to 252mb (I think), but it's available only to US users.If not for MSN messenger I'll have switched to Yahoo or GMail already.

mmm... I just checked my Yahoo.. and I'm still on the old 250 MB.. oh horror and horrible days.. :) .. somehow.. eventhough it'd hardly make too much of an impact.. I feel i'm missing out on my 1 GB.. lols.. Rashid

Well, I do agree that GMail is much better when compared to Yahoo! Mail Free alone since the latter is slower to load with graphic ads while GMail is based on Javascript (If I'm not mistaken) and text based ads (Google AdSense) but when you sign up for Yahoo!, you can get a whole lot of other features to use since they all come in a package.

yahoo takes forever to load! it's so annoying. i hate it. my mother uses it and insists on me using it. forget that. i hate yahoo! and not only that, but when you're doing stuff in yahoo, your people on your yahoo im list can contact you when you're not signed into yahoo. i hate that... it's so freaking annoying. down with yahoo!

It's interesting to watch this free email storage battle and it will also be interesting to see which one will go bankrupt first. because issuing more and more storage space means that they will need bigger and bigger servers, which means more and more money. I know these companies make money through advertisements but if they are not careful it could get to the point were the ads are not generating enough money to be profitable. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the bigger storage space. All I am saying is that the biggest storage space now is over 2099 MB (and still growing?), the question is how much storage can these companies give for free before they stop making a profit? And when that happens I think that it will be interesting to see what happens... :) Will they stop giving free email? or will only one email provider remain? or maybe they will reduce the storage until they are able to make a profit again? I don't know what will happen I guess we will just have to wait and see what will happen.... :rolleyes:

dont see why they are doing itthey know google will then upgrade to more then themand pretty soon we will have unlimited space the unlimited space would be awsome

A lot of people are saying that hotmail is only 4mb of storage!!?? Or 250mb for US users only!? What's that about? I use hotmail, have done so for at least 5 years now and my account has upgraded to 250mb, and I live in Australia! But I don't even know why these companies are offering so much storage space... for email, that much space is really not needed. I never reached my limit of 4mb with hotmail, but I guess I did have to be deleting old mesages all the time.Anyway, has anyone else noticed gmail's limit increase gragually lately? At the moment it is at 2101MB... anyone know how much further they are planning to go?