xisto Community

I am an Ipod Hater! Ipods are a peace of miserable garbage. They're ugly, stupid, over priced, over rated and anything else I forgot to mention, like the fact every person has one. I realy do like the Creative players though.

My main reason for getting an IPod was to replace my missus MP3/CD Player since battery time was only enough to last an hour, which was just enough to play one CD (approx. 20 songs) let alone an MP3 CD with over 100 songs.

Also I am interested in http://www.ipodlinux.org/ and when it matures more, I'd definitely convert this ipod over (only when my missus is bored of it), although probably no reason to do this as the Apple firmware does what it's intended to do, I just thought it would be good if we could get more out of it let alone a hard drive with an MP3 Player.

Cheers,

MC

does anyone know how much the ipod color costs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can check Apple's website, but I believe the iPod minis (which are coloured) are around $200. If you are talking about the iPod Photo (with the picture in the back), then those are around $300+. I have a 40GB iPod that I bought with my Christmas job money, but it's white. Are you talking about the covers to put on the iPods? Those range from $20-$30 or more, depending on the company that you are dealing with. I hope this helped.

I'd get an iPod if it were shock absorbive. If not, I'd drop it the first day and see 50 and 20 dollar bills flying out of it and burning up before I could catch them!  I've had 3 mp3 players, each one progressively cheaper, because I always drop it on the first week, even on carpet, and it never works again :rolleyes:. I can imagine the mini-hard drive disk shooting out at 10,000 rpm into a wall, and it would be very painful to watch, as my mouth drops to the floor froom the excitement of just blowing $400 in such a fashion, and the agony of just having blown $400 in such a fashion :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that is a concern. :)

I have an ipod and I bought this leather case that protects it (although I should have bought it earlier since now it has cosmetic scratches on the back!).

The reason why I bought the ipod is because it has so much storage and it's compatible with my computer (it's hard to find mp3 players that work on macs).

The Ipod Photo/the color version the the 30 GB is $349 and the 60 GB $499, if you are a student you can get 25 % off of an Ipod at their store or their online store. The only difference between the Ipod Photo and the Ipod is that it allows you to view pictures on your Ipod Photo and the color screen. If you don't want to spend that much you might want to consider a regular Ipod, I have the U2 version but I only bought it because it was Black and there really isn't muh of a difference well except for the color screen and the viewing pictures thing.......

A question about iPods: is it true that they use a proprietary type of music file? As in - if you download a song onto an iPod, can you just put it on another mp3 player and make it play? I've been debating purchasing an iPod, but if the song filetype it uses only works on iPods, I don't see much of a point...-Kyle

Ugh, iPods are way too overpriced for my taste. I see them as a fad that will soon be replaced. Those are probably the only things keeping Apple from being crushed by Microsoft or another company. Music players are only going to hold more space and get smaller. They'll soon be obsolete.

Kyle, the iPod plays .mp3 formats as well as the iTunes proprietory format, which I'm not too sure of. What the iPod Does restrict you is that although you can download music into your iPod, it doesn't allow you to redownload the music from your iPod back into your computer. It's how Apple is trying to stop piracy in a way, so you can't just go to your friend's computer, download the music, go back to your house, and keep it in your computer.Of course, there are workarounds for this, there are freeware out there that allows you to extract music from your iPod to your computer. Also you could transfer the music as data files instead of as "songs". Stuff like that.

I have an Ipod and I must say I love it. It's light and easy to carry around and it really lets you bring your music wherever you go. I mean you can't bring a laptop on a subway train. It worth the price and it has great sound. I love it.

A question about iPods: is it true that they use a proprietary type of music file?  As in - if you download a song onto an iPod, can you just put it on another mp3 player and make it play?  I've been debating purchasing an iPod, but if the song filetype it uses only works on iPods, I don't see much of a point...

-Kyle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An Ipod plays MP3 format songs as well as Itunes formats as well, So far I don't know of any limitations as to what kind of songs you can put on it. And if you want to place songs from a friends computer onto your Ipod you will have to first tansfer the wanted music into your Ipod, since it acts as a portable hard drive you simply place it into the mass storage area, it can be found in my computer listed in the start menu. Don't try to place it on your Ipod threw a friends Itunes program since your Ipod is registered threw your Itunes program.