xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Giniu

Future King Of Rpg? What shoud have a RPG to be best?

Hi to all!I'm game developer for about a year and I'm now designing a freelance project based on top of 7 opensource engines... technicaly it would have such things like normal maps or pixel shader, but one thing - what RPG players want to see? Some mechanics that would make playing easier? Maybe you miss something in games? Write down how RPG should looks like to hit the pot!

Well... that is a hard question...Let's see, what I like about RPGs:- 3D cameras (like in Dungeon Siege)- A nice soundtrack as background is always something good.- Some very nice cinematics (blizzard style)- Very interesting skills (Different for each race)- You will need a very very interesting story to keep the gamer interested and keep playing. I don't like much those open ended games, but maybe it's just me...- At least 4 or 5 playable races- Dungeons Roolz! =)- There are many good rpgs out there, but you should find an idea to make it unique. Dungeon Siege is unique becouse you can controll many characters, and even one or two mules for taking your gear (at least I think it's the only one).- Another great feature is the ability to ride horses.- A good map system, like in diablo 2, where you can keep playing while looking at the map.- One thing that every rpg has, and that I think sucks, is that you get from lvl 1 to lvl 2 in let's say 5 minutes, but you get from lvl 30 to lvl 31 in hours. I mean, it's ok that the higher lvl you have, the more experience you need, but I think most (all) games make it too hard to lvl up after a certain point (I think in Diablo 2 it's about lvl 25). And when you are stuck in a lvl for quite a long time, it becomes extremly boring.I have played Diablo 2 a LOT, and I mean a LOT! I think I have beated the game in normal difficult about 10 times, and then, when I keep playing it becomes awfull to play (becouse of the slow lvling). From those 10 characters, only one reached act 2 in the second difficulty, and the started another one.- Mouse... I like the mouse controll in diablo (you click and hold on a direction and the character keeps moving nonstop), but I also like controlls for example in dungeon siege (where you click on a point and the character goes there). What I think you should do is make both ways available, so each player can choose. I think no games has that features...- Multiplayer is a MUST for an rpg. (And making it dial-up friendly give you some extra points, at least in my case) =)- I think games shouldn't ask for the original cd to play. It's a way to prevent piracy, but anyway hackers keep making cracks, and for users who own the original game it's annoying that you must have the cd in your pc.Well... I think that's all I can think of right now. I hope I was helpfull.Damm... this is my biggest post ever! You better give me a lot of hosting points for this. =P

Well... that is a hard question...Let's see, what I like about RPGs:
- 3D cameras (like in Dungeon Siege)
- A nice soundtrack as background is always something good.
- Some very nice cinematics (blizzard style)
- Very interesting skills (Different for each race)
- You will need a very very interesting story to keep the gamer interested and keep playing. I don't like much those open ended games, but maybe it's just me...
- At least 4 or 5 playable races
- Dungeons Roolz! =)
- There are many good rpgs out there, but you should find an idea to make it unique. Dungeon Siege is unique becouse you can controll many characters, and even one or two mules for taking your gear (at least I think it's the only one).
- Another great feature is the ability to ride horses.
- A good map system, like in diablo 2, where you can keep playing while looking at the map.
- One thing that every rpg has, and that I think sucks, is that you get from lvl 1 to lvl 2 in let's say 5 minutes, but you get from lvl 30 to lvl 31 in hours. I mean, it's ok that the higher lvl you have, the more experience you need, but I think most (all) games make it too hard to lvl up after a certain point (I think in Diablo 2 it's about lvl 25). And when you are stuck in a lvl for quite a long time, it becomes extremly boring.
I have played Diablo 2 a LOT, and I mean a LOT! I think I have beated the game in normal difficult about 10 times, and then, when I keep playing it becomes awfull to play (becouse of the slow lvling). From those 10 characters, only one reached act 2 in the second difficulty, and the started another one.
- Mouse... I like the mouse controll in diablo (you click and hold on a direction and the character keeps moving nonstop), but I also like controlls for example in dungeon siege (where you click on a point and the character goes there). What I think you should do is make both ways available, so each player can choose. I think no games has that features...
- Multiplayer is a MUST for an rpg. (And making it dial-up friendly give you some extra points, at least in my case) =)
- I think games shouldn't ask for the original cd to play. It's a way to prevent piracy, but anyway hackers keep making cracks, and for users who own the original game it's annoying that you must have the cd in your pc.

Well... I think that's all I can think of right now. I hope I was helpfull.
Damm... this is my biggest post ever! You better give me a lot of hosting points for this. =P

Man... you plucked the words right out of my teeth... Except the one I hide under my tongue... There must be balanced PVP as in like a character can only attack another character with its mood changed to HOSTILE! Like in diablo 2 and I for one support original cd playing, I STRONGLY disaprove of the way half-life2 made it though... You might as well download the game and break your discs as it is already useless once you register it! What if I had to get a new computer as my computer is spoilt?! Its very annoying the way half life 2 did it...

and what do you think about multiple endings? would they boost up ratings and makes you - players to come back and see another ending, or you would just ignore it?(I agree with noCD - this is realy pain and make those scratches on CD... but in plan there is multiplatform game (Lin/Win/Mac) so this is actual result - Linux user don't like something like this - I know that, becouse I'm one of those Linux users :)) - rest? I'll keep them in mind and maybe even in credits :( - Vagodeoz - thanks, people like you - that knows what they want - helps make games better!!!

No problem :) If you need anything (including beta testing) :( just ask me.I'll post some more ideas if I have.And about multiple endings, I don't like much open ended games, but what you could do is.. don't know... maybe different campaigns for each race (even though that would take a looot of work). Or, you could make a huuuuge storyline and campaign in wich each character (race) would make an important role. Their paths could even cross sometimes to make it more fun.

hahaha, Vagodeoz, I would keep in mind you agreed to be a beta tester, but do you realize, that this is REALY borring and doesn't looks like many thinks? You get game - and save from one part... and you have to play it many, many, many times and report any little thing you would find... this is borring, and when as person working with game, you get your copy of "gold master" (final) release, it doesn't make fun... it's hard... you don't have fun from playing game you made, since you know it well... so... you still are offering beta testing? if yes - I would think about that - there is never too many beta-testers :)... but actualy I'm on very early stage of design, it isn't even development yet...

I agree with everything that has already been said and, if I may, I'd like to offer my own perspective. By far my three favorite RPGs are Morrowind the Elder Scrolls III, Phantasy Star Online and Fable. They're all really great, but then again they all have their faults and I'm sure that if you could out a way to take the strengths from these games and put it into one game, you'd have a lot of success.

Fable

--Awesome RPG

--Graphics are good

--You have that lovely effect of people shouting at you when you run by them and actually being able to hear them

--There are different sidequests that are fun, the combat's awesome and the overall plot is great.

--The story is ridiculously short, partially because there are so many perspectives you can play from

--You become an old dude in about four or five days of real time.

--You don't have the option of playing male or female, you can only be a man, which is annoying to female gamers like me

--(this is my personal annoyance) it's full of signs that point out where you're supposed to go, usually some place is glowing or someone that you can talk to is glowing or whatever, and it takes away from the story and makes it too much like a video game. It's harder to get into the story when there's something flashing every two minutes. :)

Phantasy Star Online

--You can play different kinds of people, male or female

--The combat is a little restricted, you have to wait until your targeting locks on before you can hit which takes away from the game.

--Overall it's really addicting and the weapons that you can get are great.

Morrowind

--Nothing's flashing ;)

--You don't have to wait for your targetting to lock on

--You can be a bunch of different races, male or female :(

--There's tons to do.

--Overall the graphics are decent, considering how involved the game is.

--The game 100 times harder to play without flashing signs because you have to follow the vague directions of random people.

--Fighting is also harder when you don't have a target locking thing.

--There are about 1000 different things that can and will distract you from the main quest which you've forgotten about by the time you've become the highest member of your guild and you're beginning to wonder if there's an actual objective to the game.

I think if you try to take a few strengths from these games, though, you'll have a great rpg, or at least I'll buy it and play it (not that that will help all that much, but whatever). Sorry for the long post, I have a run-on mouth ;)

Hi...

Lyarandae, don't be sorry, this is topic like this... there you write what you want, if you want much, just write it :(

I just realized one thing... I said just RPG and everybody considerd that I mean fantasy RPG, but I was talking about any RPG, so I decided to start poll [so Rpg... But In What Time?]... Result of this (and other...) will decide about time of action... If you are interested in this topic, please go also to that one :)

Giniu: I guess I would like to beta test.Some things about what Lyarandae:Male and Female are a must in an rpg. I think the more customizable your character is, the better. Also there should be many faces, hair colors, eyes colors...About that flashing thing, you could do what Metal Gear 2 does with radars. You have your radar in low difficults (I think in Very easy, easy and normal) but when you play on hard, you no longer have it. So you could add that flashing things in low difficulty levels and remove them on high difficulties. Or... you could just let the user choose :)I haven't played Fable but I think that thing about getting old is just awesome. Also the fact that you can hear people commenting (it also happens in Gothic 2) is awesome.To make the game extremly customizable, I think you should allow user to choose race and sex, but you could also allow him to choose his side.So the player could for example choose about being good or evil. If he is good, he can be a mage (he would live with mages and make their quest), or paladin... etc.Well... I guess I'm short of ideas right now.I'll be helping you in any way I can.See ya.

Come on guys... some more feedback...I got another good point you could consider.I played yesterday Dungeon Siege (after a loooong while) and a very good thing about it, is that for example a healing potion heals you 200 hp, but if you only need 50 hp, you drink it, and you still got a potion with 150 hp. (I hope I explained myself).I'll keep popping ideas as they come out.See ya. Good luck

Thanks for another reply :rolleyes:I would consider this, since this is reasonable (you don't slit half of bottle after drinking whole, but rather dring only half of it... life taken... that's why playable :)) of course if it would be fantasy rpg this would be potions... if not... well medicines or anything can work similar way... Thanks, noted it on board...

Well...Diablo you say... don't mind saying my opinion... I played Diablo and well... It had more from arcade dungeon crawler than role playing... you got old style schem: surface + many floors of dungeon... it was made good of course, but for me rpg is more like real - story telling (pen&paper) rpg's in which fights was only addiction to great story... of course this is only my opinion and maybe I'm wrong... :rolleyes:

Well, here are some things you should and should not put in your game:Good- 3D camara angles- Lots of sidequests- A (few) strong, but optional bosses/monsters i.e. Emerald and Ruby weapon from Final Fantasy VII- Voices and words...Reading is too boring- Another quest. Beating the game once isn't real fun. Have special features after- Sence of Humor. A (RPG) game should always have some funny thingsBad- Lots of characters....Trust me, I know a few games that failed because of that- Hard to control battles. You should just be able to enter a battle and press/hold down a button to attack.- Predictiable events... If you have not played Chrono Trigger, you should. You'll know what I mean.I could list a thousands things, but I only put the important ones. (In my opinion)