xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jrdonjar0591

Laptop

Hey, I want to buy an apple laptop. I have a dell computer in my house. THe laptop allready has Microsoft(with all the microsoft programs), photoshop cs, and a couple other programs. My first question is... Can I transfer the files,(like reports and things that I have typed out on Word from the laptop) to my Dell at home. And can I transfer graphics that I have made on photoshop on my Dell at home, to the Photoshop on the Apple Laptop. Does the Apples laptop have a USB and everything. Thanks.

I think the answer to all of that is "yes".You can burn your documents from your dell on a cd and read it from your mac, or you can connect them through the ethernet port (I think that is possible).I think that's it.Oh, and good choice. Macs laptops are awesome.

Okay, I'm not too sure what you are saying here. Are you saying you want to buy an apple laptop and PUT the microsoft programs and photoshop CS and couple other programs in or are you saying you have these programs on your windows laptop or on your dell?? O_o.Well, to answer some of your questions:1. Yes, you can transfer the files, especially if you're talking about files that have the same program in both mac and pc, like Microsoft Word, over to your Dell if you want to. You can either send it through the internet, email, or purchase one of those crossed-ethernet cables to do direct transfer. Or get a thumbdrive or an external harddrive or something. How you transfer it is up to you, the point is that you can, and it'll be perfectly compatible. I know, I transfer word and powerpoint and other files to my classmates on PCs regularly. The files just look better on my mac, that's all. *wink*2. Transferring graphics made on photoshop in a mac to photoshop on a pc and vice versa is also possible, same idea as 1. Just a note though, you probably will have to get photoshop cs for macs because you can't install the pc version on the mac and vice versa.3. Yes, apple laptops have USB. USB 2.0 in fact. We also have Firewire 400 (Firewire 800 if you're looking at the 15" and 17" Powerbooks) and various other ports, as well as Bluetooth, usually in-built.

... or purchase one of those crossed-ethernet cables to do direct transfer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, macs have auto-sensing ethernet ports that do not require this. They will work with a standard ethernet cable. This is part of why mac HW is expenisive. In a lot of ways, it is fantastic quality hardware. You just don't notice because things working automatically just doesn't call attention to itself, sorta by definition.