xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vagodeoz

MiniMac

Well, I haven't personally tried one, but I've played around with one at the Applestore and they're pretty neat. They're REALLY small, like O_o, and really light, and if you have enough money you can go splurge on one of those lovely metal apple studio displays to go with it. Really nice.Basically I'm a fan of everything mac. And the mac mini is really an engineering feat, reminiscent of the G3 cube. Only thing that possibly bugs me is the low-end parts in it, but then, what you pay is what you get. The Mac Mini and the iPod Shuffle has often been touted as Apple's foray into the lower-end market, and so far I think the response is pretty good, I just hope that with a cheaper system, people who used to toy with buying a mac would try it out.Have you seen the iPod shuffle too? I really want one... but not as much as I want my 60GB iPod Photo... *sighs in bliss*

Yes, I have. My friend just bought one. In response to using it, he is selling his PC. He decided that even games were not worth keeping the PC for. Which is weird, he used to be a rather hard core gamer. They run rather well. He thought the hardware inside was ~=3ghz p4. This is not true, its nowhere near as fast. However, OSX FEELS so much faster and nicer that you have a similar user experience.Anyway, I encourage people to go get a Mac mini if they want another computer. At the very least, it makes a damn good unix webserver for 500.

Haha nice to know an actual user review. He really seriously thought it was a 3Ghz p4?? O_o. Goodness. I think I'm being spoilt by being on the Mac OS X for so long. I should go torture myself by using my brother's computer or something...

Im not familliar with Mac hardware, but Ive heard you can run linux/unix on it? In that case, the macmini would be freaking awesome. Being as small as it is, it could be used for all sorts of specialized applications, the one i have in mind for a car. Teacher of mine uses a 200mhz laptop hooked into his car to run all of his programs, he adjusts everything from fuel richness to timing. Being an ex NSA programmer, hes written all the programs. For such a think like that, it would fit wonderfully under the dash of his camero. Such small things, its size is the only real advantage.

i dont know the architecture of G4 processors but maybe you can get one that supports all the features included in the minimac , but 500$ you can get better things for that price

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. The Mac mini(s) only come with 256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM and that is barely enough to run its Mac OS X but the software bundled with it does look nice. The US$500 does not include the prices of other accessories and you're better off building your own one with the money.

Does anyone look at their PC Boxes anyway? By having a computer the size of an easter egg doesn't in any way benefit you. By fitting a computer in such a small space wouldn't they have to comprimise on the quality of the components inside?

By fitting a computer in such a small space wouldn't they have to comprimise on the quality of the components inside?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. The components inside are all very high quality. They are essentially powerbook parts.

As for the RAM issue, just go buy another stick. From personal experience, I can say that the mac mini would feel as fast with 512 MB ram as my PC desktop, which is 2500+ AMD, 512 RAM, radeon 9600XT.

Also, the mac mini is silent (except for the CD Drive when it spins up. But that is still rather quiet). Some people like that.

As for the advantage of size, if you have ever had to move a computer around, or change apartments, or even just rearrange your desk, then it is a huge boon. Better, like a laptop you can just take it with you to places and hook it up to whatever is available.

I am going to travell to argentina to study and I'm taking my computer... wich I have no idea how I'm going to do it. It's big as hell. So, yes, size is a very good thing in a pc.And about the specifications, macs are much faster than pcs. On a veeeeeery old program, the system requeriments were something like this:For Macintosh:120 Mhz processorFor Windows200 Mhz processorIt has a 1.3 ghz processor, so that would be like a 2+ Ghz pentium. I think the price is quite good.

No.  The components inside are all very high quality.  They are essentially powerbook parts.

As for the RAM issue, just go buy another stick.  From personal experience, I can say that the mac mini would feel as fast with 512 MB ram as my PC desktop, which is 2500+ AMD, 512 RAM, radeon 9600XT.

Also, the mac mini is silent (except for the CD Drive when it spins up.  But that is still rather quiet).  Some people like that.

As for the advantage of size, if you have ever had to move a computer around, or change apartments, or even just rearrange your desk, then it is a huge boon.  Better, like a laptop you can just take it with you to places and hook it up to whatever is available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adding a new stick of RAM should do it but the price tag doesn't include it, including the cost of shipping and the other essential add-ons that are not included. However, I find that the iMac is the perfect desktop replacement, a second home unit for multimedia means and the idea behind the Mac mini is that the small budget is not synonymous with small performance.