xisto Community
pedro1405241472

The Best Database databases

te best database for my is sql server yukon

for you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MYSQL because:

taken from internet:

It's relatively clean (no huge grammar quirks, simple privilege administration)

easy to maintain and upgrade, does not have a slew of administrative tasks to put up

its table format does not vary between releases (but the old ISAM table format is being dropped out after having been shipped sidy-by-side with the new(er) MyISAM format for quite a few years)

it does not have its own data / index caching but uses the filesystem's one (when using MyISAM tables). Result: faster, can take advantage of OS's fs caching and journaling, simple backups, less vulnerable to crashes.

it has cleanly separated table handler modules and can mix access to different types of tables.

it seems to be developed iteratively, and the features are very stable when they ship them. This is the biggest reason I like MySQL more for production environments than PostgreSQL.

one gets a lot of control on how things are done.

it's fast. (This, they advertise a lot. But in practice, it seems to be so.)

it doesn't carry a lot of historical baggage, thus for example the transaction support can use state-of-the-art solutions like MVCC.

I suppose mysql is the most popular database because it's open source and hence many other open-source scripts and applications make use of it. Examples: this IPB forum, phpBB, phpList, and many php scripts.

I suppose mysql is the most popular database because it's open source and hence many other open-source scripts and applications make use of it. Examples: this IPB forum, phpBB, phpList, and many php scripts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not just that. Take a look at the features it offers - can give any of the commercial giants a big run.. And of course it's opensource and got this incredible support forum.

Thats true..Me and my friends use mySql for our forum too....really nice and easy to use..

mysql is the best by far.. simple and easy to use.. most of installable scripts are available in mysql. also mysql is opensource and has a huge community of users to help you out (that is if you have somehow got some problem.. which doesn't happen very often with mysql)..slightly of topic.. but i feel that sometimes guys use mysql databases to often when its not required... even storing data in text files is good for small scripts like polls, guestbooks, etc. but for bigger applications, its better to use mysql.

This kind of is in topic....I'm actually taking a advanced course on databases. Not SQL 101 but getting more into inside the dbms's. We've had so far three lectures and the lecturer hasn't mentioned the open-source databases once, although Postgre and MySQL (especially) are really widely used and one would think it's easier to get under their hoods them being OS and everything. No it's just Oracle, Oracle, Oracle...

MySQL, you'll be hard pressed to find a script that is written not for mysql (unless specificilly written for another database type or doesnt require one at all :))Mysql is the easest and most used database, and most webservers (and now free webservers) support and install mysql

I'm a complete newb to PHP and databases, and I'll have to say that MySQL has been easy to use, clean, efficient, and it works. That's more than I can say for PHP when I tried to set it up with Apache on Windows.MySQL is quite powerful for a scripting language that has only ten or so commands. I recommend it to any newbs out there.

I'm taking a course on php and mysql, and so far I'm very interested in it. I just can't seem to get the "hang" of it. I never really used a database and I'm not too sure how to "setup" a database on ..let's say...even Xisto. So far we've set up localhosts and that's about it. Just learning, but so far I enjoy MySQl and it seems to be a very popular database. I'm just curious how everyone uses databases and php to make sites that allow a static menu to be displayed. Guess it's something to do with drop tables and such. Once I get the "hang" of this I'm sure I'll probably stick with MySQL.

I’m starting to learn php and MySQL. I chose MySQL for his following features:

Taken from the Paul DuBois’s book: MySQL

Speed: MySQL is the fastest database you can get, look at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

Easy to use: MySQL is a simple database but it’s a high performance too.

Query language support: MySQL understands SQL, the language of choice for all modern databases systems.

Capability: Clients can use multiple databases simultaneously, you can access it using several interfaces, a variety of programming interfaces are available for several languages like C, Perl, Java, PHP and Python, and much more.

Connectivity and security: MySQL is fully networked, and databases can be accessed from anywhere on the Internet, so you can share you data with anyone, anywhere; but it has access control so that people who shouldn’t see your data can’t. And now to provide additional security, MySQL supports encrypted connections with the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.

Portability: MySQL runs on many varieties of UNIX, as well as on other non-UNIX systems, such as Windows and OS/2.

Small size: MySQL has a modest distribution size, specially compared with certain commercial database system.

Availability and cost: MySQL is an Open Source project, freely available under the terms of the GNU General Public Language (GLP). This means that MySQL is free for most in-house uses.

Open distribution: MySQL is easy to obtain, just using your Web browser and you can get the source code also.

Finally, it is obvious that the popularity of MySQL has also been aided by the existence of phpMyAdmin, the industry-standard administration tool that makes database management easy for both the experienced developer and the novice, and this is what is helping me very much.

With Databases it really is a case of "horses for courses"MySQL is everywhere where Linux and LAMP (Linux,Apache,MySQL,PHP and or Perl) exist. But it is not the most powerful of the free database offerings.In Order of Simplicity of Data Structure for "Free" Databases the choice would be CSV File |XML file | basicaly text filesMySQLPostGreSQLSQL Server Express (Win32 only) -note 4G data limitOf the list the latter two are the hardest to learm, but most powerful (i.e including stored procedures)Regards