xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blood.Junkie

Painless Injections

Posted Image

Do you hate needles? In the near future, the fear of needles would be a thing of a past. Bioengineering students at the University of California, Berkeley have developed the MicroJet. It uses an electronic actuator that could one day propel vaccinations, insulin or other drugs through the skin of the patient - without the device even touching the skin - with far less pain than a hypodermic needle.

The researchers modified a traditional syringe by taking out the needle and adding a tiny piezoelectric actuator that propels the liquid out of the tube. The actuator expands or contracts in response to an applied voltage. Because the MicroJet's source of power is electrical rather than mechanical, its range of control is continuous, allowing a far higher level of customization than the jet injectors used today.

They were able to control the jet velocity of the MicroJet from 33 meters per second up to 140 meters per second. The amount of liquid they were able to eject ranged from 45 nanoliters to 140 nanoliters. They tested the MicroJet on agarose gel to mimic human skin and found that they could vary the penetration depth of the liquid from 1 to 8 millimeters.

While they have not yet started tests on humans, the researchers said the range of the injector is well beyond what would be needed to deliver drugs through human skin. Current jet injectors have less control over the volume and speed of drug delivered as compared to the MicroJet.

The precision of the MicroJet could one day make it a good candidate for microsurgery as well as for delivering arthritis drugs into the joints of hands and knees, areas that are too shallow for hypodermic needles. The researchers even joke that the MicroJet injector could be used to make getting tattoos much more bearable.

:) sounds pretty cool.On the other side, you will have people with mechanico-phobia, that would prefer the needle. And what about tapping blood for a investigation etc.Btw, u have some balms that make your skin al numb. They also help against needlepain.

On the other side, you will have people with mechanico-phobia, that would prefer the needle.

I don't know if I would call myself one of those people, but I think I'd prefer the needle over this new method (even though I absolutely HATE needles).

I hate to be a pessimist, but what would happen if the device malfunctioned? I think back to when my dad was in the service, and he told me about this device they used to give injections for Anthrax. It forced the vaccine through the skin using pressure of some kind (I can't remember right now, :(), but if you moved while it released, it'd cut a gash into your skin.

I suppose that's why they haven't approved it yet for humans. :) I think it's a cool idea, but at the same time I think I'd rather go with the old standby.

And what about tapping blood for a investigation etc.

Maybe they could reverse the process to draw blood out? I don't know, I'm not a scientist, lol.

but if you moved while it released, it'd cut a gash into your skin.

Nah, I don't think it works that way. You know what molecules are? Well, if u look realy very close witha microscope at your skin, you see they don't really fit tightly together; it's rather a pattern of round-ish sphere's with holes between them. That's the place where the liquid passes through.

I suppose that's why they haven't approved it yet for humans. :)  I think it's a cool idea, but at the same time I think I'd rather go with the old standby.

Maybe they could reverse the process to draw blood out?  I don't know, I'm not a scientist, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, u mean like a sort of dentist vacuum cleaner thingy type :(?

Yes, more technology as-seen-on star trek :) . While thinking what might happen if it were used improperly as a weapon, it's probably no more dangerous than someone coming after me with with a typical needle, don't get me wrong, that's still plenty dangerous...Seriously, I see alot of posibilities if this were made large scale. Consider injecting insulation into home walls without cutting the drywall, or possibly a new way of repairing asphalt. Hmmm, trying to think of methods where the object being penetrated isn't solid.... I suppose you could just aim it at a brick wall, and blast right through it.. Ah! Drilling applications even...It initially got me thinking about that plastic skin-graphing though, where microfibers are sprayed on your skin and biodegrade after a week or two; great for burn victims. But I'm not sure how low a setting that might need.Anyhow, thanks for the great new tool I can brag to my colleages :( !

I prefer the needle more though... Its much more practical in terms of energy conservation! Besides, it does not hurt that much... If I am correct, a group of researchers are coming up with a needle that does not hurt. They got this idea based on the mosquito, when a mosquito bites, you do not feel the pain! They are trying to apply the same concept with the needle. Right now, I am still sticking to the good old needle!

Uhm i don't think needles hurt, it's all between the ears, I'd be more afraid of some hi tech injection method which i don't know (and don't trust either) ... long live the old injection needles:D :)

that's great news for my little 7 yeard old brother ... he must get injected with Insulin , 3 times a day , and he's starting to hate us because of syringes ... any idea when will it be sold for public ?

Yeah, this definitely reminds me of the hyposprays seen on Star Trek...

I think that once this is tested and proven 99.9% safe, it will probably start to catch on pretty quickly.

I prefer the needle more though... Its much more practical in terms of energy conservation!

Actually, needles are pretty wasteful. Every time someone gets an injection of any kind, the metal tip of the needle has to be disposed of. Plus, the syringe can only be used for one type of fluid (and when taking blood, the syringe can only be used once). With this MicroJet, the tip never touches body fluids of any kind (unless used to take blood, I guess). All that has to be replaced is the container that holds the fluid to be injected. The MicroJet would produce much less waste.

-Kyle

Well it has a point with the conservatives... About pain though... I don't consider needles painful at all, in fact the feeling of something being inside my muscles is quite intriguing. (Except if it hit a nerve - youch!), who would have thought you could feel inside places like that? And then feel the cool liquid lurching throughout your bicep, squeezing into veins toward your chest... sorry just trying to smoke out the squeemish:)How would you like it if a thousand microscopic raindrops burst 5 mm into your skin and dissappeared? Seriously, I'm asking a question. I guess the chimps tested on would have said something...

Lol, the last injection I got was a 'meningokokken'-injection. It was right in a muscle, but it hurt less than the injection before. I guess if u are really engaged in a conversation and very distracted from the one putting a needle in your arm, it doesn't hurt that much.For me, the painless injection has my preference.

You could make this work backwards. I may be thinking of something else, but my understanding of the technology is that is changes the chemical structure of your skin, allowing liquid to pass through it harmlessly. This effect wears off in 6 to 8 hours (or some time to that effect), and allows liquids and drugs and stuff to pass harmlessly through the skin and into the body. It also allows blood to pass out through the skin, also there would have to be some vein penetration there, I assume.

Woah, wait! Isn't the point of skin to provide a firewall to everything outside? How could it be better to open a large [what, like 1 inch] patch of your skin, which would allow God knows what into your system? That's like opening ports 1500 through 2000 just so you can download with 1750. If any other virus were between the injector and your skin, wouldn't it be blasted in also? It seems safest with a needle, so only the drug can pass in, and only in that one point.