xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

Where Is My USB2 Port ! I Cnt Find It ! :(

Both Gentoo Linux, AND MS windows XP, AND my motherboard bios/instruction manual agree that i have a USB2 controller.

i have 8 Usb sockets, 4 in the front of the case, and 4 at the back n the motherboard.

Nomatter which one of these 8 sockets i plug my USB2 mp3 player, the operating system detects it as going through the usb1.1 port !!!

i have both usb1.1 and usb2 on my moherboard., but all sockts apear to be usb1.1 !

Usb2 is enabled in my bios, usb2 drivers are installed and working.

the mp3 player works fine in all sockets, just at slow usb 1.1 speeds.

i cant work out whats wrong... i even updated my BIOS !!!

SO... here's the technical information.....

USB configeration from last kernel compile...

CONFIG_USB=yCONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=yCONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH=yCONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=yCONFIG_USB_EHCI_SPLIT_ISO=yCONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT=yCONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=yCONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=yCONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y

here is the USB controller information
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])        Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c11        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5        Memory at fdfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 20000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])        Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c11        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11        Memory at fdffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 20000:00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])        Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c11        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5        Memory at fdffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)        Capabilities: [44] #0a [2098]        Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
as you can see i have 2 OCHI (usb 1.1) hubs, and one EHCI (usb 2.0) Hub.

And here is what my kernel has to say about usb direing boot up...

ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2004-May-10ohci_hcd: 2004 Feb 02 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)

I am certain that is is not a software problem, as the same fault ocurs wth windowsXP and Linux.

any idea's ??? this is driving me mad !!

im considering re-compiling linux with only usb 2.0 support, but im not sure what that will do to backwards compatability (my USB mouse is USB vrsion 1)

HELP !

thankyou.

EDIT:
oh yes... and its a VNF3-250 Chaintech motherboard, with nForce-3 chipset

and ive just been reading the USB2 driver readme... it seems that all usb ports SHOULD be usb2, and the hardware should physically route the usb device to a usb 1 or usb2 controller deppending on what its detected as....

my mp3 player claims to be usb2... could it be lieing ?????
could it really be usb1 ???

qwijibow,

Your USB 2 may be right there in front of you but well hidden.

Many motherboard manufacturers provide many features that are not usable right out of the box.
Your USB 2 may not have a port, just a header.
A header is an optional hardware feature on a motherboard that requires an adapter.
So, in order to use your USB 2, you may need to purchase a USB 2 adapter. There are two types, rear mount and front mount.
- Rear mount plugs into your motherboard with a small cable and attaches to your case in the back like your videocard, soundcard, or modem/network card.
- Front mount also plugs into your motherboard with a small cable but it attaches to your case like a hard drive or floppy drive. Some newer cases have this adapter connected already in a special front I/O pannel.

Check your motherboard diagram to determine where your USB 2 header is located.

Antec Inc. Has USB and USB 2 adapters availible.

Hope this helps, :D
vujsa

There is a bit of confusion with this USB2.0 thing. Manufacturers are supposed to use a special logo that show “hi speed” in a red portion of the drawing to specify that the unit is high speed. That is why you have to be careful when you buy products that claim to be USB2.0 compatible because the real high speed unit will come down to level 1.1 and work any way.USB 2.0 is configured mechanically and electrically and is backward compatible with t he older 1.1 standard. If you have a PC that has USB 1.1 and you plug your Hi-Speed USB 2.0 peripheral into the USB 1.1 system, your unit will perform at the USB 1.1 speed. If you would like to use High-speed USB 2.0 on your system, you will need to update your PC either by adding in a PCI add-in card or purchasing a new Motherboard with a discrete host controller that supports Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and installing Hi-Speed USB 2.0 drivers. Just installing the drivers will not make you system USB2.0 compatible.