xisto Community

Ive got the open source program Blender and such but im at a total loss of knowledge on how to use it.I would like to do small animations, maybe an minute or two long in 3D, hell maybe make a crappy little series but I dunno how to do work like that. Ive never tried before, Ive always focused on coding things but dont understand graphics, so is it easy after a while?

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Wrong forum. Moved to Software > Graphics Design
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I've tried Blender for about 5 minutes before, but it was unlike 3ds Max, so I gave up on learning how to use it... But, I think that it still can be learned after you mess around with it more. Did it come with tutorials or references?

Another good free 3D program is Milkshape.

3D's Max is a lot of money. A couple hundred, it might even be a thousand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe 3ds max is around 500 right now, I believe. I have used it, and have a very limited knowledge of it though I can make basic, boxy models.

I've also heard milkshape was very easy to use, and it only costs around what...$25 for a license to use it?

@trekki - don't start big though, start learning how to make simple shapes and everything before you advance to animation.

lol there goes my chance at becoming Shrek 3 lol

I think I may just go back to coding, its a lot easier and free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha yea - what do you need to code...notepad and a compiler? :D

I'd say that if you don't have a very specific reason to start learning 3d modeling (eg - making models for a game modification) - then it's best you don't try to learn. It's not a very easy thing to pick up, it takes time and determination to go through countless tutorials to learn the program. If you don't have a final goal, then chances are you're going to lose interest somewhere in the process of learning :D

I have tried to model in the past, but it happened to be quite difficult (same happened with programming). Anyone knows a "3ds for dummies" tutorial or something like that? That would be quiiiiiiiiite usefull for some of us...

Hi, I'm modeler for a long time, in work I was using 3d Studio max, and Maya, but I wanted to get hands on something OpenSource... I was looking at Blender, but it is great tool for animation, unfortuneatly my work is sub-surface modeling or organic characters - in Blender it was realy hard... when I found OpenSource application called Wings 3D I was realy suprised, creating of models was never so easy - clean interface and nice mechanics gives amazing freedom !! I can surely recomend it, since company I work for went to Wings when I showed them what it can... besides... It is fastest modeling application ever with great Video Tutorials... you can find list of tutorials on Wings Forum... You must see IT!!! :(

http://www.wings3d.com/

It is hosting on sourceforge and gives full CVS access, it is heavly developed to long awaited version 1.0, now it is 0.98.29a - it will happend preaty soon :)

I am a high-school student that has been using 3ds Max 5 for the past six months or so. I have a lot to learn as far as modeling goes, but I have some links that you may find useful.

--Go here for a 3ds Max 7 trial

--A very awesome 3ds Max texturing/modeling tutorial.

--3d Total

Those will be good to get you started. I highly recommend using 3ds max. You can learn a lot during those 30 trial days, and if your trial runs out, you could always scrounge up a 3ds Max 5 or 6 tutorial somewhere.

I have some images of models I've made. I do environments/furniture/so on in school, but I find them boring. Character modeling is where it's at.

I'm first year and my instructor has absolutely no clue what he is doing, so bear with me. I still have a very long way to go.

The one on the bottom is far from done. Very far. Haha. The top two were done within my first month or so of learning to use the program.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

So yes. :) Modeling is fun. I very much hope to go to college for it.

Ive got the open source program Blender and such but im at a total loss of knowledge on how to use it.

I would like to do small animations, maybe an minute or two long in 3D, hell maybe make a crappy little series but I dunno how to do work like that. Ive never tried before, Ive always focused on coding things but dont understand graphics, so is it easy after a while?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well.. i had got a computer magazine CD (chip india) where they gave blender with a couple of video tutorials and also had an article in the mag how to get started....

i think blender has a really nice interface and is easy to use.. ofcourse i had some small experience in CAD before this so that helped..

i think blender has a site (maybe blender.org or blender3d.org ) where there are forums where u can ask for more help and get tutorials.

Wow, those are very nice!!! You're either learning very fast, or your instructor's really great. Or both. The hair's really realistic. Did you use multiple maps for the first two?The lighting's a bit too much though... Too much light reflecting on the face makes it blinding and unseeable, unless you want that effect...

Yup - Blender is program with nice features... There are many tutorials, It's best to start at [Official Blender Tutorials] and yup amkint:

maybe blender.org or blender3d.org

- both :) at [blender.org] there is project page, where you can read news and annoucments, and at [blender3D.org] there is page, where you can find in using blender and download, there is also a GREAT gallery... [Official Blender Gallery] - just try it :(

Wow, those are very nice!!! You're either learning very fast, or your instructor's really great. Or both. The hair's really realistic. Did you use multiple maps for the first two?

The lighting's a bit too much though... Too much light reflecting on the face makes it blinding and unseeable, unless you want that effect...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My instructor has no idea at all what he is doing haha. For the first two, I used only a basic material for the hair with a very high Noise map - no personalized maps textured in an image editing program at all. The bottom one I textured the hair and eyes for, and at this point in time have only used one map for each. Top layers of the hair will have their own map.

I was going for the blinding effect. I enjoy forcing people to focus on the key areas of a face - eyes, lips, how the hair falls around and frames it. Here's one without the lighting:

Posted Image

At that point in time I had not attached the two halves of the head, which is why there's a nice bulky line right down the center of the face haha.