xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

Locking Executibles

I don't know of any freeware for this but I would tell your friend to delete all of his shortcuts to nero except one and rename it. At least this will slow his sibling down. He could password protect the whole computer.vujsa

There's something called Nero Burnrights - a freeware tool downloadable from Nero's site. Get it Here. The only catch is, your friend has to always use the admin login in Windows, or just create a login for himself in the admin group. Once you install this, you can set it such that people with only admin logins can burn CDs (infact that is the default even without BurnRights - but you can explicitly specify it using burnrights). Why doesn't your friend create a Power User account for his sibling and keep the Admin login just to himself ?

Here's more on BurnRights:

* Why do I need Nero BurnRights? Since Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not grant access to low level drivers for users without administrative rights it's not possible for them to burn CDs with Nero.

* What is the purpose of Nero BurnRights? Nero BurnRights allows users without administrative rights to burn CDs with Nero. The administrator is able to setup user accounts with exclusive "burn rights" for Nero.

* How do I use Nero BurnRights? Please download the installer file and doubleclick the file to start the installation. Please make sure that you are logged onto the system as administrator. You will find a new entry in Start/Settings/Control Panel/Nero BurnRights. Doubleclick it to start the application.

While this little piece of code is used to provide burning rights to ppl with lesser than admin privileges, it can be used to reverse the process too - i.e. lock up the ability to burn for others.

Another process:

To allow Limited User's to burn CD's, click Start/Run/Regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look in the right pane for AllocateDASD and double click the entry. Set the value to 2.

Yet a third method:

Use this software named Hide Folders XP. It lets you explicitly specify which folders/files you'll allow certain groups of users to access. The CD Drive is treated as a folder on Windows - so this sw can be used without a prob.

Another alternative software: Secure Folder (for Windows 2000/XP) 2.0

Secure Folder is a computer guard utility. It can hide batch of files, folders, and a local disk, or make them read-only. Also, it can restrict accesses to floppies, CD-ROMs, and removable mass storage disks(USB disks, etc) thus prevent other people from copying files into or out of your computer. Without password, nobody is able to delete,modify,rename, move, or use the protected objects.

Main Features:

1. Hide both files and folders.

2. Make files and folders(together with all files within) Read-Only.

3. With no password, the protected files/folders can't be deleted, renamed, modified, viewed, or used.

4. Make a whole hard disk inaccessible.

5. Restrict accesses to Floppies, CD-ROMs, or removable mass storage disks(USB disks, etc).

6. The startup and uninstallation of Secure Folder is password protected.

7. Easy to use. You can drag files and folders from Windows Explorer to protect them.

8. Unbreakable under Windows Safe Mode.

It seems to me the simplest option would be to password protect the admin account, then create another user account with no administration rights, and have access to the nero folder locked.Or you could just simply lock the cds in a drawer.... That might be by far the simplest. lol