xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vujsa

SMF: Simple Machines Forum General Descritption And Tutorial Link

Simple Machines Forum - SMF

SMF is a relatively new bulletin board script written in PHP and XHTML.

Here is a list of features:

Advanced User Management

Multiple New Member Registration Methods

Child Forum (sub-forum) Support

Multiple User Levels And Permission Levels

Multiple Templates

Easy To Use Control Panel

Calendar

Built-in Modification Package Installer

Many Modifications Availible With More Arriving Frequently

Support Forum

Multiple Language Support

Very Fast Forum Parsing

More

Check out their website: http://www.simplemachines.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Opinion:

SMF is one of the best forum (bulletin board) scripts availible and it is free. The only down side to SMF is that it is relatively new and doesn't have the vast number of Mods availible that older scripts like phpBB have. Fortunately, the out of the box product has many features built in that other scripts require Mods for. I foresee SMF gaining high popularity in the near future.

vujsa

I was reading the Tutorials and How To's forum and ran accross this execelent SMF tutorial by Trekkie101.

SMF - Asta Style!.

As far as I'm concerned, this is required reading prior to installing SMF on your website.
Trekkie101 probably has the most experience with this bulletin board system among the Xisto membership.

He really put a lot of work into this tutorial and I think it gets overlooked by being hidden away there in the Tutorials and How To's forum.

Have a look. :rolleyes:

vujsa

SMF, is a free, professional-grade software package that allows you to set up your own online community within minutes — aka, it’s forum software. SMF is written in the popular language PHP (Andy may disagree) and uses a MySQL database.This is an extremely powerful and easy-to-use forum, probably one of the more robust systems I’ve come across.

-reply by David Via