xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

How Can I Open A *.sit File

I just down a *.sit file.how can I open it??Which program should I use??

A sit file is a Macintosh file created with a program called “Stufit”. It is like a zip file for Macs.Meaning it is a compressed file with a sit extension.

A sit file is a Macintosh file created with a program called âStufitâ.  It is like a zip file for Macs.

Meaning it is a compressed file with a sit extension.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try winzip and winrar. They might do it. Really .sit is a silly format because it is not cross platform. I say that as a mac user. No reason not to use zip or rar.

Try winzip and winrar.  They might do it.  Really .sit is a silly format because it is not cross platform.  I say that as a mac user.  No reason not to use zip or rar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is StuffIt for Windows, as I remember encountering a .sit file, after unzipping it, it was a .sea file, so in the end, I think I just deleted it and not bother about it.

Cheers,

MC

I would use StuffIt. I didn't know it was Mac-only. I've only use a Mac for my .sit-ing, so I never knew it was a problem on Windows. So would you all suggest .zip conpression? Maybe I'll .zip files on my website instead of .sit-ing them. (And if you really have problems with it you could send it (email or something) to me and I would un-.sit the file then .zip it and send it back. Just PM me. ...if you trust me! :D )

For file compression, I use ZipGenius and usually zip files into .zip or .exe. I don't usually compress files (although I remember I used to love compressing every file and FAT partition when I was like 9 or 10 years old :P) so I am not too good in this area.A file format for Mac only is quite useless, unless it is for storing sensitive private Mac only information. :P

Yeah the only free one that I know of is the Stuffit expander for windows.That is what I use. I have to use it quite often and it works fine.Brian, yes I would suggest that you use zip for anything you you are offering on your site to the public, since that is the most cross-compatible. I don't really think that there is much difference in the compression either between the two.

how to get rid of activation massage

How Can I Open A *.sit File

After installing SP3 a massage apeare in taskbaar menu that you have 30 day left for activation how can I get rid of this?

-reply by ashok

simply putHow Can I Open A *.sit File

tar.Bz2 is very fast and high compression arcive format, possibly best. Free and open-source.

7zip is the best cross-platform, free opensource program for archive handling in my humble opinion.

Comercially backed standards like .Zip .Rar and .Doc are obsoloeted now by opensource standards but unfortunately many people at home and in the industry still promote ancient methods as far as software is concerened because it's familiar ground that the capatalist standard authorities propigate. When in retrospect, and this goes deep into protocols and system architechture as well, it would be in both the professionals and home users best interests to use standards that don't get broken everytime the version changes to promote the purchase of the initiating companies latest product update.

just so you know :)

-reply by gknifemonkey

There are lots of file system or formats. I encountered some of them and appeared weird, especially if its not a known file formats. My saviour is a small program archiver. This is called Power Archiver, everything related to file formats is in there and this will solve your problem.

This thread is bit old now. What is the answer in 2010?How Can I Open A *.sit File

if you visit stuffit's website youget the option to buy the deluxe version, or to buy something you don't want from a voucher site in order to qualify for a free copy of deluxe, and finally to just download the free version.

The final free version doesn't arrive, so I'm dubious about the 'spend $50 at Blockbuster for a free copy'. The trust has gone so I wouldn't buy it.

-reply by keith

This thread is bit old now. What is the answer in 2010?How Can I Open A *.sit File

if you visit stuffit's website youget the option to buy the deluxe version, or to buy something you don't want from a voucher site in order to qualify for a free copy of deluxe, and finally to just download the free version.

The final free version doesn't arrive, so I'm dubious about the 'spend $50 at Blockbuster for a free copy'. The trust has gone so I wouldn't buy it.

-reply by keith