xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jrdonjar0591

Computer Talk What computer should I buy?

Hey, im looking at buying a new computer. Not something to priceybut just something that is big enough to hold a couple big programs like photoshop 7 and that is pretty fast. Should I be looking at a dell? Or something like a Mac. Also, can laptops and notebooks hold photoshop on them? Thanks.

Well, Macs are pretty expensive so I'd stay away from them unless you have the money and are a Mac fan.

Dell seems to have pretty decent computers. They'll make anything you want.

eMachines is cheap but I think that they have some internet service promotional thing:

--> Sign up for internet service and get a free (cheap) computer.

I wouldn't worry about PhotoShop installations. Any new computer will have both the speed and capacity needed for several large programs like PhotoShop.

If your not a computer geek, doesn't sound like you are, I wouldn't worry about processor brand or speed. As long as you get a Pentium 4 or AMD XP processor, you'll be ok. Intel also has new generation Celeron processors that are good entry level chips.

Item: Reccomended: My system

Memory: At Least 128MB: 512MB

Hard Drive: At Least 80GB: 200GB+ (combined 5 drives)

Check your desired Operating System's minimum system requirements. Usually, there will be a suggested system requirements listed as well.

You want the suggested or recommended minimum system requirements at the least.

Additionally, there is a way of speeding up PhotoShop by adding a second hard drive.

Ask me if you want more information about the second drive setup.

Laptops will work fine for most computing needs.

Happy PC Shopping, :D

vujsa

Hmm, maybe you would want to say what kind of usage you would have for the new computer? I mean, besides photoshop. Do you use photoshop very extensively on big files? Do you play games? Do you have special software you have to use that has no real substitutes in other OSes?Because of the buggy nature of Windows, I would usually veer towards either the Mac or Linux. Your budget also matters. Do you always have viruses? Do you like Macs? (considering you actually included Macs in your list, I figured you have at least a little interest in them.)Hm. how about building your own computer? It's a lot cheaper and you can customise a lot of it, save money on what you don't really care about, and invest money on parts you really need. What level of computing expertise are you at?Sorry about all the questions but they are usually necessary before people can give you good advice for your type of question...

Yea, I dont want something 2 pricey. I also need programs on there like powerpoint and all the microsoft programs on it. ( so would that cound MACs out?)Also I would need to run the itunes program on it. Thats about all. So would you recomend any other things now? Thanks.

look i don't about computers from where you stay... but here in india.. its best to buy an assembled computer from computer dealors... choose a config like this::mem: 512 mb ramprocessor: any intel p4 with HTHD: 80 GB.. or more if you need itmonitor: Samsung 17" CRT or an LCD if you can afford itany good motherboard with nice integrated graphics (64mb) asrock has some good ones... look for virtual surrond in soundthis is one pretty cheap and good system... though its not enough to play games.. for that buy a 128 mb graphics card.. ATI has some nice ones.

Actually, if so I would count Linux out, because as far as I know, Microsoft does not have Linux versions of their products. There is a Mac version of Microsoft Office, which consists of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage, oh and MSN Messenger. And of course, iTunes comes with the Mac operating system.

Hmm. Then I think I'll recommend two routes for you.

One: Buy a Mac. From your usage I think maybe the mac mini might fit your bill. It's the cheapest mac around, and basically you have to buy your own keyboard, mouse and screen to go with it. It will run Photoshop, Office and iTunes comfortably enough, because the Mac OS X supports hyper-threading, which means for less memory you can multi-task better. I would suggest getting the higher-end of the two mac minis.

Two: Get a Windows machine. Any Windows machine should be able to do what you want. Dell is good because it's convenient and they're cheap. You might want to make sure you have AT LEAST 512MB of ram though, more if possible, if you're going to run Photoshop. Windows XP seems to need a lot of ram. If you have the skills, or know someone who do, make your own PC. Go trudge around in computer shops and find your own parts. Even when your demands for your PC aren't very high, making your own PC is always most cost-effective. Problem would be that by making your own PC you won't have a very comprehensive warranty system, probably just parts warranties.

So basically: If you don't mind the mac system (and it really is a wonderful user experience, I assure you), get the mac mini. If you want to stick with WinXP, get a Dell, or build one yourself.

Not very specific, I know, but I hope it helps.

How about building a computer like I did?

Windows XP Home Edition OSAthlon XP 1800+ Processor Chip
Cooler Master DP5-6I31D-01 Active Cooler
Chaintech 7NIL1-SUMMIT Motherboard
256MB Kingston PC2700
In-Win V564G Case
250W Power Supply (included with case)
Western Digital WD400BB Hard Drive
Sony DDU 1621 DVD-ROM (16X/48X)
ATI Radeon 7000 64MB graphics card
19" CTX VL700 CRT Monitor
Creative SBS 270 Speakers
Integrated Audio
Logitech LABTEC Generic PS2 (Donated)
Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical (Donated)

This will be the specifications for my budget PC which I build last year and it did cost me a bomb. (Honestly, I'll rather buy a bomb) I managed to build it with some help from some Microsoft guy I met online who recommended me some products and stuff but you can always search Google for more specs for budget PC systems so count on it. :)

HEY MOST OF YOU PROBABLY WONT EVEN ACKNOWLEDE THIS POST, I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO GET TO BANNED SITES IN SCHOOL, SNEAK2 HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BLOCKED, I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS A ALTERNATE SITE, AND/OR HOW TO BYPASS THE FIREWALL THE SCHOOL IS USING, p.s. TASK MANAGER IS BLOCKED... :)