xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vizskywalker

Xp Driver Issue Compaq Presario 1800t Update

Okay, this seemed like the best place to post this. I'm trying to update my Compaq Presario 1800T notebook to Windows XP, and half of the drivers I need to install say "The data is invalid". This is the situation for the graphics driver as well as my linksys wireless g adapter. I tried updating the bios, which windows recognizes as a "System device" with a yellow exclamation mark, but the update provided by compaw does not match the type of bios the motherboard has (according to the install utility). Any help here would be appreciated.

First, what are your laptop's specs? This can be helpful for us in the forum to help you with troubleshooting.

Second, are you doing a fresh operating system install, meaning formatting the hard drive and using an XP disk designed for new installs? Or are you using an XP upgrade CD? Using upgrade versions are always buggier.

Finally, are you getting your drivers and bios updates from HP? HP now owns Compaq and they have support info here.

:D

Okay, I'm going to address the second and third points first. It's a new install of XP with reformatting the HD. Even though HP owns Compaq, the Compaq site still provides support for Compaw computers, and the driver search on HP takes me to the same site for driver downloads as the Compaq site. I just (after making that post) reinstalled Windows, and now the network card works fine (I'm on it now). I haven't tried the graphics driver yet, but I will let you know the results as soon as I do. Thanks for your help.