xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ignition

How To Find Directory From Ftp Root? confusing...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The program linked to above is a simple app that instantly uploads a printscreen to an ftp directory once you press the "Print Screen" button.

The problem though is that you have to enter the directory from the ftp root where the program should upload the file.

Sorry for my n00bishness, but how do you find out the directory? What would it be on a site hosted by Xisto, for example?

I hope that post made sense...hard to explain something like "ftp root" and "directory" when I don't know what I am talking about. Can someone explain a bit about it, please?

The directory can be any directory that you want to store the files in. You can pick what directory you want to place the files. For Xisto, you get a root ftp directory that your ftp uploads go to. If you want to leave it in the root directory, then just leave the field blank. Otherwise you can put something like "/screenimgs/" to put all you're screenshots in that directory.

By default, your ftp root directory is the one which you're normally placed in upon a ftp login. If you cpanel login is "someone" then for Xisto your ftp login would either place you in a directory /home/someone or /home/someone/public_ftp - depending on how you've configured ftp from cpanel. In case you want to find out what your present directory is, right after logging in - type

shell> pwd

"pwd" is a unix command that tells you what your Present Working Directory is. Put the directory name that's shown as your ftp root in the uploader program. That should get you started. Otherwise, for Xisto you could just try out either of those - /home/yourcpanelname or /home/yourcpanelname/public_ftp ... Should work without a hitch for both.