xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Umbra

One Thing I Don't Like About Google

Google is a good search engine but there is one thing I don't like about it. It can be good in some ways, and bad in others. Whenever you type small words (I, if, is, a, at, ect.), it takes them out. That can be good if your looking for Map of Asia since it'll read Map Asia. But, if you type something longer and with thoses small words, most of them will be removed. So, there should be a way to make it so you can remove that feature.

Put what you want to search for in parentheses :DFor example, to search for Map of Asia it would only return sites with "map" and "asia" unless you had "Map of Asia"...in which case it would only list sites that contained those 3 words in that exact order.You can also use other Boolean operators on google, such as the "+" sign.

lol, yea...in order to link the exact phrases, you put your search in quotes. You can also do stuff like "Map of Asia" Southeast and it will search "Map of Asia" and the word Southeast. This feature is really useful for me when I seach for guitar tabs/song lyrics. Normally red hot chili peppers would search the words seperately...but when i type "red hot chili peppers" guitar tabs lyrics - it can give me very precise results ^_^

Also, interestingly, the order of the search words seem to matter. If you rearrange the order of the words, you get slightly different results. This is interesting, but it kind of makes it harder for some searches.

Recently google has been messign with their sponsored ads right... And I swear as of late they have been getting on my nerves because half the time the ad results they give me is totally off topic anf other times maybe three fourths of the first page of search results are sponsored links.Bleh... Well either way google is still ym search engine of choice.

google it's the best search engine for my :D it's my first choice every time.me too hate the fhis fact for small word cut out from search but i solve the problem with "" most of time...i don't like the sponsored link in first pages ;) but i don't like other search engines so i prefer this sponsored links and i'll continue to use Google! :D

yeh they do get annoying like that. especially when you're like me and are searching for lyrics.. then everything comes out all whack and you definately don't get what you asked for. arrrhg

google is great for searching for lyrics epecailly if you dont know the name of the song, just a line.

"the line of the song here" lyrics

There is only a few times that hasnt worked for me :)
and if it didnt take out the small words (Doesnt take out 'a' because you can search single letters) then you would be getting thousands apon thousands of results because nearly every webpage has the word 'the' or 'of' or 'is'

You could do "Map"+"of"+"Asia" if you really want your small words in. Usually I start off with a wide sweep of the net with something like "Map"+"Asia" and then I narrow it down depending on what kind of wrong or roughly right answers I get through googling.

You could do "Map"+"of"+"Asia" if you really want your small words in. Usually I start off with a wide sweep of the net with something like "Map"+"Asia" and then I narrow it down depending on what kind of wrong or roughly right answers I get through googling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont really get the thing with the + or - or the extra stuff u can do to refine the search.