xisto Community
mpodner

Help Me To Build A Best Web Site Help

what is the purpose of your site??? like what type of content are you going to place on it?? one site that i've found with very nice scripts is http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ . i have found an unbelievable amount of usefull scripts there. if you really want to create a cool site and would like people to be able to submit content to it, use phpnuke or postnuke :angry: i prefer phpnuke just because i'm used to it more then post. both of these you can download many modules, blocks, and themes to help improve your site and its functions.

You don't have a lot done...Before making a website, you have to think of what your layout will be. Draw this out on a piece of paper first. Then, I would recommend using CSS to code the layout (this is usually the hardest step). Next, use Fantastico in your cPanel and choose a Content Management System. Apply your CSS to your CMS, and you should be done!

You don't have a lot done...

Before making a website, you have to think of what your layout will be. Draw this out on a piece of paper first. Then, I would recommend using CSS to code the layout (this is usually the hardest step). Next, use Fantastico in your cPanel and choose a Content Management System. Apply your CSS to your CMS, and you should be done!

59096[/snapback]

What is CMS? Tell me more about CMS! :angry:

A content management system (or CMS) is a system used to organise and facilitate collaborative digital content creation.

In other words, CMS is a PHP program where you can manage (for lack of a better word) all your web pages on your web site without having to create a new html or htm file each time you want to add a page to your site.

Some people might compare CMS to blogs because the two are basically similar in how they operate.

As for myself, I don't use any of the above...or any of the ones included in Fantastico for that matter, because the ones in Fantastico use tables as a mean of positioning. As for blogs, I use Nucleus***. If anyone know a CMS that uses CSS to position stuff, please post below because I love CSS as opposed to tables.

*Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Management_System

**Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

***Included in Fantastico

I like Dreamweaver a lot! I like the fact that it basically does everything for you. All you need to know is how to type a left bracket ("<"), and code-completion takes over for you. Also, it has TONS of snippets, and templates that you can use to make your site seem as professional as possible.The only thing I don't like about it is that it needs Windows XP AND a beastly computer to run smoothly. I currently have a 2.5 GHz computer, and when I used Dreamweaver, it would literally take me HOURS to update my entire site (about 30 pages), so I got tired of it and decided to uninstall it.Now I use Microsoft Notepad instead because it's so much faster! Also, making templates for your site really helps because all you need to do is copy the file and edit the new one!But yeah, definately use Dreamweaver if you have a fast computer.

If you want to go with windows hosts, you definitely should use the great Dotnetnuke portal framework.If you want to go with Linux hosts, then I suggest you to use Joomla as your cms due to its great community and also freaking amount of free modules, components, templates and plug-ins.

Edited by eastofsorrow (see edit history)